Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the Blower Motor Resistor twice this winter, and now it's failed again and again I have heat that only works on the highest fan setting.

When the first replacement failed I thought it might just be a bad part, but now that the second one has gone I'm thinking there may be something else going on here. Any insights on what might be behind this?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check the fan motor while you were in there?

Wonder if it's not turning easy, drawing more power to get it spinning.

·
Registered
17,464 Posts
X2, bad motor runs the amp requirement up to melt parts.

How's the airflow through heater box? If entry air is stifled the resistor melts, it requires passage of air over it to maintain temperature at a certain level. Duct blockage by leaves, etc., could do that maybe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks. I'll pull the fan motor then I guess and see what's going on with it. As I understand it, I just have to pull down the glove box, undo a bolt on the bracket, and then there's just 3 screws on the bottom and a connector, right? (2001 SE wagon).

If it is not turning smoothly, can it be lubricated or bushings replaced, etc.? Or must the whole unit be replaced?

I'll also check the airflow into the box, but I think that's good.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Squeaky ones respond well to a couple drops of Motor oil in the right places, you'll have to see what the condition is when you check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts