Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a pictorial or thread on the blower replacement on a 2001 FF w/air? Mine squeaks like a hampster on a thread wheel.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OK, NO "pictures" avail., but NOT needed!

MINE was a hamster as well, but with removal & lube has been fine for months now....

DUmp the glovebox contents & open it ALL the way (press tabs on side so it falls open).

THEN you can see what you are dealing with....

there is an air tube for the HVAC that needs to be removed for easier access, get to it from the glovebox AND from below....

THEN it's just the 4 bolts (screws) that hold the fan assembly from below, if I remember right the connector (wires) to the fan motor can be accessed from above OR below, whichever is easier....

The assembly just drops down, once out I cleaned out the leaves & crud, dripped a little motor oil on the shaft BETWEEN the "squirrel cage" and the motor, THINK there was a point on top to lube the motor end but I can't remember for sure....

With some motor oil for lube it was VERY happy again..... Just cleaning out the crud helps a lot....

Luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try this. I've done this on my VW blower motors and it works. Couldn't do this on the FF because the motor was actually dieing, not just noisy.

Drop the blower out. However, don't add the oil from the squirrel cage part. Use a razor knife, or drill bit and drill out the other end. Get some gear/bearing oil, I use whatever little bottle is at the hardware store. With the blower flipped upside down you can turn the cage and see the piece that rotates and oil that part specifically, letting the oil drain down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tried Sailor's suggestion today on my 2002 SE blower motor. It was noisy at idle/slow speeds and especially when cold. So far so good but we will see how long it lasts. FYI - the blower motor R&R process took me ~45 mins. Hope the oil on the bushing lasts!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Use spray silicone or lithium grease and it will last longer. Motor oil is good, but thin oils like penetrating lubes and WD40 will not last like the thicker stuff. The only drawback to the thicker stuff is that it might take longer for an effect in some situations. You can't mix the two though because WD40 and penetrating lubes are grease dissolvers. I'm not sure about silicone grease, but I know WD40 will dissolve petroleum based greases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts