Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have an 03 focus and the blower motor has been acting up lately. If I run it on high for a couple minutes it shuts down to almost nothing. If I shut it off for a couple minutes it comes back on working fine for another couple minutes. I noticed just now while parked it also make s a bit of a growling noise when it's not working correctly. Is this just a bad motor or could it be something else? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I sure hope that's all it is.
The car has 200k miles on it, I'm wondering since I'm doing the labor anyway would it be best to just buy a new motor? Not yet sure what they cost and I'm sure that will influence my decision. Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Buying a new blower is, of course, always an option. However, I have heard that the new aftermarket blowers are not the same quality as the Ford OEM. They seem to not run at the same speed and are prone to failure according to some here on the forum. In my opinion, if your original blower can be lubed and it runs okay after that, then that is the way to go.

You do have to lube both of the bearings. Some make the mistake of only oiling one of the bearings because they don't remove the motor out of the housing to get to the other bearing.

BTW: A dragging blower can take out the fan resistor if run in speeds 1, 2, or 3. So, avoid those speeds until you either lube or replace the blower.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, I'll go with the lube idea after reading that. Unfortunately speeds 1,2,3 are the only speeds that work without shutting it down. I have a 30 mile drive coming up in an hour and it's 10 degrees here. I'll risk it.. thanks again, you've been a great help and eased my mind

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
i have 2 for sale

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Unfortunately speeds 1,2,3 are the only speeds that work without shutting it down. I have a 30 mile drive coming up in an hour and it's 10 degrees here. I'll risk it.. thanks again, you've been a great help and eased my mind
Then I would suggest using the fresh air setting and not recirc. The cold incoming air will help cool the resistor block.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Brother, I personally have never experienced ANY aftermarket replacement blower that had as much air output as an OEM of any brand. While I know they are cheap, I keep thinking there is a wide open market there for some enterprising capitalist to jump in and create a premium quality blower motor company at say 3/4 of OEM motor price. I think he would be a millionaire in less than 3 years with proper marketing.

To OP, if you've already toasted motor by going too far like that you may not get it back right by simply lubing, which should have been done far earlier than that. Waiting till motor lugs down fully is how you burn them up to never work again correctly.

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts