Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody HELL!!

My focus went in and required the rear wiring harness to be replaced due to corrosion. I am 4 months outside my basic warranty. They won't even meet me half way on the cost to replace it. Something that should not have failed, especially considering the car only has 52000 KM on it. I am so freakin mad! Plus the dealer is telling me it happens quite regularly because it's a hatch. I had the liftgate handle replaced last year, and if it was corroding then, I should have been made aware, and told to keep an eye on it.

And Ford Customer service just keeps on with the mantra, no warranty...you must pay. See if I ever buy anoth car from them!!

So, anyone else have this problem with their hatch??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, really suks to find problem right after you warranty ends.

But as crappy as it sounds, they are in the right.

My Grandfather always taught me to have cars checked a few months before your warranty expires. He also taught me to have it checked my someone other than the dealer! He retired as a service tech (he's 94 now!) and know how dealerships can be.

I just bought a 2002 Ford Focus ZX5, my first Ford! Can I ask how you can check for this type of corrosion?

Thanks and good luck,

Jeremy

·
Registered
16,196 Posts
sorry to hear your upset about it. it doesnt matter if it's ford, chevy, mazda, vw, or mercedes. when the warranty is up, they owe you nothing. if they cater to everyone, then the price of a new car will go up. i work for vw and it is not an everyday occurance for corporate to offer any major assistance, it is all on a dealership level. that is why i purchased an extended warranty for my car. i suggest you do the same. and make sure you get it thru ford or you will be screwed. it has saved me $5,000 so far.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Definitely not Ford specific problem. Fact of the matter is though that you can't expect the dealer to fix things after the warranty goes out... that's why there's limitations on the warranty. =P

+1 on getting a 2nd mechanic to look at stuff before warranty goes out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Guys,

I agree with you to a point. Here's the thing. When you buy a car, you expect certain parts are going to last for a long time. A wiring harness is one of those parts. At 52000 Km, I should not have to get it replaced. Esp considering if it had not beeen purchased as a demo, it would still have been covered.

In fact, a few years ago, there was a court case, in Saskatchewan I believe, where a woman sued manufacturers, because of something similar to this. A judge agreed that certain parts are expected to last a certain period of time, so when they fail prematurely, the company is resposible.

As for how to know this is coming...if your hatch release doesn't reset itself so the hatch doesn't close properly, you probably have a corroded harness. If you have that with burnt out license plate lights and left tail light...it's too late, you need a new harness.......

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
the corrosion is ford failure of using small diameter wire all over the car, my harness is starting to go as well. but i love my car, so i may bite the bullet and get another harness when it goes out, i wont have a choice...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey,

Don't get me wrong, I love my Focus too, but to me, Ford has lost any sort of ability to keep their customers happy. They just don't seem to care.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey,

Don't get me wrong, I love my Focus too, but to me, Ford has lost any sort of ability to keep their customers happy. They just don't seem to care.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ive taken my car in for a few things hard start, window molding falling off, seat cushin sucked and moved, heated seat didnt work.. and everytime i got a bullshit anwser. Now im having problems with clutch/tranny and im going to to take it to a tranny specalist and see what they say so i can wave something in fords face..

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only way imho to get satisfaction is to embarrass FORD in public by posting your service records and personal experience to every Ford Dealers website , Instagram and Facebook page , it doesn’t matter which dealer , just post your truthful experience everyday until the dealers push Ford to fix the problems and restore customer faith in the product. posting here won’t do any good , no one looks here until after the fact and that’s too late to deter anyone, you have to warn future purchasers of your truthful experience backed up by your own service records. You want future customers see the truth . Class action lawsuits don’t solve the problem, but you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts