Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the head off of a 2003 2.0L SOHC and was just about to start reassembling when I realized I only had one dowel pin. Now dowel "pin' doesn't seem to be the right word to me but I am sure you all know what I mean.

If more than one is required do I have to contact Ford/a dealership directly?

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there another hole that isn't threaded that looks dowel pin size?
Yes and no; no as in the "pins" I am speaking of aren't exactly pins. They're hollow dowels with a slit in them. They go into the block where the head stud or head bolts rather thread in. They serve the purpose of keeping each component aligned with each other.

Yes as I am assuming there has to be more than one of them.

Edit: They resemble something like this.
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/oem_dsm_head_to_block_dowel_pin.htm

I know Mitsubishi uses two in 4g63s and such. This is where my reasoning comes from.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Every engine I have experience with uses two dowel pins per head.
The service manual makes it appear there are two locating dowels, but the drawing sucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every engine I have experience with uses two dowel pins per head.
The service manual makes it appear there are two locating dowels, but the drawing sucks.
They both locate at/to the back side of the head, oddly enough. Thank you! This is what I wanted to hear. Does the service manual by chance mention any part numbers?!?!

For everyone else:

Here is a picture of the "pin".

These are the locations where the pins locate; remember I have the head upside down.

I know these are the only places that can accept these because they are the only two with groves cut in the head to stop them. The same goes with the block.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I didn't see any part numbers, sorry.
I am about 99.9% sure those are the two locations.
Might have to measure those and look them up in the pioneer catalog that way, or buy Ford brand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the head off of a 2003 2.0L SOHC and was just about to start reassembling when I realized I only had one dowel pin. Now dowel "pin' doesn't seem to be the right word to me but I am sure you all know what I mean.

If more than one is required do I have to contact Ford/a dealership directly?

Thank you all in advance!
I know this may be a long shot considering it's been 7 years, but curious where you ended up getting these dowel pin sleeves (if you did them). Not having to much luck and am planning to shoot in the dark soon based on some measurements.

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
Those pins are commonly dealer only supplied parts. You can fake them using copper pipe a bit big and slice a short piece off and then slit it down the side and squeeze in to the proper OD. The height is not critical other than the part MUST be short enough to not hold the head up or it's blown head gasket city.

Generally two used per head, and one is always getting stuck in the head you trade in for another (SPI) and didn't see it. Somebody who rebuilds them likely has piles of the dowels laying around. Check with the shops in your area, they may have a few lying around, ours did back in the day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those pins are commonly dealer only supplied parts. You can fake them using copper pipe a bit big and slice a short piece off and then slit it down the side and squeeze in to the proper OD. The height is not critical other than the part MUST be short enough to not hold the head up or it's blown head gasket city.

Generally two used per head, and one is always getting stuck in the head you trade in for another (SPI) and didn't see it. Somebody who rebuilds them likely has piles of the dowels laying around. Check with the shops in your area, they may have a few lying around, ours did back in the day.
amc49, brilliant - thank you so much! The copper pipe is a genius idea. All ready tested it and it works like a charm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts