Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just starting to learn about keeping my car up and i heard blizzak tires were the best winter tires.

I live in buffalo so im thinking about getting winter and summer tires.

i have a 2004 red zts

right now i have 95/60r15 88h ( no clue what it means) but thats what it says on the tire lol

so my question here is what tires should i get both winter and summer size wise

i read the best tires for you post

im not a very aggressive driver, i do alot of thruway driving at about 70mph
thruway is most of my driving

i put miles on very quckly, i do an oil change every other month at most

and being in buffalo i deal with a lot of snow in winter

So im interested in blizzak tires for winter just need help with which ones to get, if someone could provide a link or suggestion

And then i also need a summer or all season tire even? not sure what size or anything i should go with

im not rich im 20 and work at fed ex so im not looking to spend more than a few hundred hopefully under 500 for the 2 complete sets of tires

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Blizzaks are great snow tires, if you live in an area that has snow on the ground nearly the whole winter (Buffalo I'm sure does) then Blizzaks are amazing. Unfortunately, I doubt you're going to get two full sets of tires for under $500. I spent $380 on my Dunlop winter tires alone.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've used both Blizzaks and Hankook Icebears. IMHO the Icebears were just as good in the frozen stuff and usually a bit cheaper than the Blizzaks. You'll probably end up paying $500-$600 for ONE set of Blizzaks/Icebears.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The very best snow tire is made by Nokian (aka Hakkas). They are, however, expensive and often hard to find. Blizzaks are very good too but have a few more downsides than the Nokians. They don't have the best tread life and also tend to be more expensive when compared to some other snow tires. The good thing is that you can get them just about anywhere. My advise, should you select Blizzaks, is to minimize driving them on warm or dry pavement as this accelerates wear quite a bit.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Go to tire rack.com and put in your car model and such and they'll give you a long list of options. I was just checking them out, and all the winter tires they have are great and not crazy expensive...most float between 70 and 80 dollars. The blizzaks were rated the best and are probably one of the best winter tires out there. They are 77 dollars each. Unfortunatly, you will not find 2 sets of tires for under 500. Its winter now so buy the winter tires now, and then wait to buy the all season or summer tires later on and save your money. One thing to consider though is whether to go studdless or studdable. Studdable winter tires have little...well, studs in them to help get traction in deep snow and ice. Studdless tires don't have the studs, but still work amazingly well, and you probably wouldn't notice the difference between the two anyway. Only thing is the studded ones will make dry/wet road driving alittle worse and will probably just wear the studs out. I don't live in buffalo, but I know you get alot of snow. If you think at any time you are going to be driving on clear roads I would get the studdless ones.

As far as all-season or summer tires, it depends on when you plan on taking of the winter ones, idk when winter ends up there. I'd probably go winter tire and then summer tires. Also you might want to consider wheel swapping as well. Your stock 15s are perfect for the winter as they offer low rolling resistance (they are tall and narrow) which works great for plowing through snow. For the summer, I know your tight on money but you may want to pick up a set of 16 or 17 inch wheels and getting summer tires for better dry/wet handling and more fun outta the focus.

If you want an all-season tire check out BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S tires. I just ordered a set the other day and hopefully will get them soon. But they one of the best all season tires out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts