Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had done a lot of research on Winter tires and decided the Michelin Ice X3 was the best for me.
But I had to go for 225/40/18 as no 235/40/18

So Dealer was going to install the tires on my Ford Racing 18" rims.. Then they say they cannot do so. "as the tires are not the correct size for the vehicle'. Period.
I am struck dumb.

Call Ford, they say your dealer says so, so that is it. Period.

Call one of the best tire places in my area and they too say it is not a good idea, and they will not install the tires.

This is a whole new thing. Like Nanny State claims new territory never before covered.

I am returning the tires to Tire Rack. this SUCKS. and is plain crazy.

Now I am back to square one, but at least I know I have to buy tire in only 235/40/18.. and they 'should be Z rated for over 155mph too.

I guess the scenario is (as described by the service assistant manager: "A bank robber steals a car and is driving at 150 mph (in a blizzard) and crashes, and then the Dealer gets sued for having agreed to put below speed rated tires on the car... The owner signed a waiver, but the bank robber did not.... [poke]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's all Bull

I can believe the Dealership not wanting to, after seeing all the MkIII complaints last year about GPS & speedo being of after changing tire sizes. (and wanting warranty)

But a tire shop????

They want you to have Z RATED SNOWS????? What the bleep.

Wish I remembered numbers, car's prob. governed slower than that.

What kind of snows do you end up with that have a Z rating, Bloody Hill - you'd prob. be little better off than with the all season tires you were considering.

Find another shop? These Bozo's gone corporate, and one of these days someone's gotta start suing over this excessive protectionism.

"Sorry, you have a sports model so you aren't allowed safe tires for the Winter - you've got to park it."

AAARRRGGGGHHHQ!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
So,look up the Tire rack info for a reminder - Z rated is for over 149, NOT over 155

V rated is the highest rating for snows, either size, and that's for up to 149.

95 vs 92 load rating is only 528 lb less for the smaller size. Over 5500 lb total weight rating for the car (smaller size).

Still call BS on them

·
Registered
620 Posts
Check this out..

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws16=1&ws15=1&ws14=1&m=&tiresize=235%2F40-18&maxdelta=2&minwidth=215&maxwidth=235&minratio=35&maxratio=50&minwheel=18&maxwheel=18

As you can see that size should work just fine. Your speedo is going to read a little low but that should be no problem. I'd go to the Tire Rack site and look up their approved installer list to find somebody else to install them.

Actually the better way to do winter tires is to have them mounted on their own set of rims. Just some thing to think about for next year.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
She DID - went out a got a brand new set of Ford Racing Wheels to go with the new car...

And the tires are close enough to be listed as alternate sizes by Tire Rack as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why even run 18s in the winter? Why not go to 16' or 17' as long as the O/D is the same, then car won't event notice.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
17 would work, but Elizabeth was going for the best dry/wet road & the closest to stock performance she could while still getting the best tires for Winter. (as I understood it).

I ran into a stupidly officious person at a tire Dealer long ago who wouldn't do an optional size for me (mount & install). Just ended up elsewhere to get the same tires/wheels put on.

DEALER put an optional (cheaper) size on the current car before I saw & purchased it (185/65 instead of 195/60-15's).

If that dealer had SOLD the tires, they'd have no problem with it IMHO.

Try another place to get them mounted up before giving up on the brand you wanted.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
This is surprisingly ridiculous. I could see them refusing install if it was a 185 series tire, but 225 vs 235...nutso. 225 would literally be better for snow even if it was the exact same F1 model that comes on the car to begin with. Basically, they've decided that the best way to keep you safe is by forcing you to continue on with the summer tires in winter or go through the hassle of trying to get a less-competent but 10mm wider tire.

Z-rated snow tires. El-oh-el. You may as well sign up for a snow rally.

I guess the shop that installed my 215/40's for my Mk3 were clearly irresponsible for doing the job that I paid them to do.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I guess the scenario is (as described by the service assistant manager: "A bank robber steals a car and is driving at 150 mph (in a blizzard) and crashes, and then the Dealer gets sued for having agreed to put below speed rated tires on the car... The owner signed a waiver, but the bank robber did not.... [poke]
How about this?

"A bank robber steals a car and is driving in a blizzard and crashes because of the summer only tires..."

Who is going to get sued?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I could see a shop not wanting assume the liability of second guessing the manufacturer and installing a lower load rated tire.

The ST Owner's Manual Supplement supplies the oem approved alternate sizes. 225/40-18 is at least three load indexes lower than any of these tires sizes.

235/40-18
235/45-17
215/50-17
215/55-16

(I guess 16's would no longer fit with the new ST front brakes)

The owner's supplement also spells out the conditions for operating with a lower speed rated winter tire.

If it is required to fit winter tires with a speed rating less than the original equipment tires (to fit snow chains, for example), be aware of the maximum speed rating for the tire and never exceed.

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Actually now that I think about it 16's MIGHT fit. It might be dependent on the wheel, though, so make sure they fit before purchasing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
So,look up the Tire rack info for a reminder - Z rated is for over 149, NOT over 155

95 vs 92 load rating is only 528 lb less for the smaller size. Over 5500 lb total weight rating for the car (smaller size).
It's not quite that simple. Tire rated load capacity varies with speed (over 100mph) and pressure.

Do tire installers typically check/verify what pressure is needed to cover the car's weight and speed envelope if the load index is reduced below manufacturer spec? I doubt it - hence the reluctance to fit less capable tires.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
F35 - 16" wheel use depends on build date of the ST. Double check, but IIRC yours should be fine, while there was a mid '14 change to larger brakes that made 16's unusable for the most recent ST's like Elizabeths.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Actually now that I think about it 16's MIGHT fit. It might be dependent on the wheel, though, so make sure they fit before purchasing.
If the car is built after 3/31/14 the front rotors are 13.1" and the was caliper adjusted accordingly 16" wheels won't fit. With the 12.6" front rotors it's a tight squeeze but the factory spare is 16" then a 16" steel wheel will fit

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts

Still call BS on them
It's not quite that simple. Tire rated load capacity varies with speed (over 100mph) and pressure.

Do tire installers typically check/verify what pressure is needed to cover the car's weight and speed envelope if the load index is reduced below manufacturer spec? I doubt it - hence the reluctance to fit less capable tires.
Do tire installers verify & set ANY tires to the appropriate pressures for max. load & speed? NEVER have I seen or heard of that being done. They're set to a shop standard or placarded std. setting at BEST when done "right".

If you read back through, the stated objection was a lack of "Z" rating that was quoted as 155 mph.

"Z" rating being defined as "in excess of 149 mph" is a detail difference at this point. IF installers adhere to the objection, there are NO Snow tires avail. to be used on the car, whatever the size. "V" rated at "up to 149 mph" is the best speed rated tire available.

How can it be reasonable to contend that a tire rated to 149 mph & designed for Winter conditions is inadequate for use in those conditions as opposed to Summer tires rated for a higher speed? Remember, this is for Hwy. use in a Country where the highest legal speed is in the neighborhood of 80 mph and Summer tires are not recommended for use in cold weather, much less adverse conditions.

As to the lower weight rating for a single size smaller tire, the difference is minor and as I mentioned in another post I'll leave the EXACT weight rating of the car vs. the tire's rating to someone with access to that data. Rough estimate from typical numbers would put the GVWR of the car at less than the combined weight rating of over 5500 lb. for the smaller tires. Maybe 500 lb. excess capacity instead of 1,000 lb..

The idea that adhering to an excess of caution should prohibit use of a car in Winter weather JUST because it comes equipped stock with optional tires that have a capacity FAR in excess of expected use is ludicrous IMHO.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts