Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Clutch/Flywheel Combo. Which?

• Spec Clutch/Aluminum Flywheel (Stage1,2,3)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Clutchmasters/Aluminum Flywheel (Stage 1,2,3)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch/Fidanza Flywheel

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • LuK Clutch/Flywheel

• OEM Ford CLutch/Flywheel

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my clutch is toast, and i need a new one.

Options:

OEM Replacement
Spec Stage 2 (W/Flywheel Combo)
ClutchMasters Stage 2 (w/Flywheel Combo)
Centerforce D/F (Fidanza Flywheel)

Will the OEM Clutch Kit work with a Fidanza Flywheel? I'm going for cost effectiveness, I'm not planning on FI, or a super N/A built, just wanting to rev a little quicker, and shift a little harder [gunfire]

Give me your thoughts on My options I have listed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just got a SPEC Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel. Cost was $871 for parts. I've only had it installed a few days, but love it. It bites quickly, with the pedal a little bit harder to push than stock. But, with the lightweight flywheel, the car puls so much quicker from stand-still.

I'me very happy with my choice.

Cheers, Shane

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
find a fidanza flywheel and hit up southbends they will mod an audi clutch and pressure plate to work with the fidanza flywheel

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean, it sounds convincing, but IDK, I'm just so leery of stuff like that. If this wasn't my only car and not my daily driver, I'd be good, but I just can't make myself on my DD

·
Registered
545 Posts
I got the spec stage 2 and aluminum flywheel. Probably put about 15K on it since then, and it still grabs like new.
Took a bit of getting used to, but that's how it is with any new clutch. Pedal effort is quite a bit more than stock..I drive my cousin's stock SVT all the time, and there is a big difference. But there's an even bigger difference with the flywheel. His revs take forever to drop back to idle. All in all, I recommend this setup. Don't know much about the other though.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Agree , Contact Mike at hilbush he is a sponsor here , replace it with a new OEM clutch its as good as most of the clutches in your list , with what you say you are doing you wouldnt be able to tell if there was a stock or alum flywheel in there , you said you were going for cost there it is

Tom

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
have you considered the Luk kit? I have to replace mine in the spring (it's away for the winter) too and I'm trying to get as much bang for my buck as possible. They're supposed to be slightly better than OEM , tough decision for me. Gotta get the timing belt and water pump replaced too.........bye bye savings account

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree , Contact Mike at hilbush he is a sponsor here , replace it with a new OEM clutch its as good as most of the clutches in your list , with what you say you are doing you wouldnt be able to tell if there was a stock or alum flywheel in there , you said you were going for cost there it is

Tom
I have access to dealer prices as well, I havent checked on the cost yet. I do want that brick of a flywheel gone though. Maybe that isnt cost effective as I hoped. Would the Fidanza fit with the OEM clutch? Assuming the fidanza is made post TSB?

Also, Spec is right down the road from me.... Literally. And I can get a Spec Stage 3 Clutch w/ Aluminum Flywheel for 600 CASH. So, thats kinda cheap.

You guys are re4ally helping me out. I just need to figure out how much I can spend right now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dealer prices the Luk Kit is still over 600 because you have to get the Dual Mass flywheel too. My Fidanza Flywheel is geting shipped out to south bend and they are modding it to fit their clutch that will be here next Wednesday. The Fidanza is made pre TSB and it will not work with the Luk kit it is 9 7/16in ckutch disc diameter and the fidanza only accepts the 8 7/8in SUmmit can get a OEM Replacement that is TSB from Zoom or Perfection it comes with the Dual Mass flywheel and everything fit cost 485.39 PM me if you would like the P/N because it is special order only and not listed on the website you have to call

·
Registered
303 Posts
gonzorelic and Tom,

Why do you say that SPEC are hit or miss? I've just got mine installed and it feels great. It's a Stage 2 with the aluminium flywheel! Should I have concerns?

On a seperate and unrelated note, Tom, I have your tune, and love it. Given that the new clutch config is so much quicker to pick up, is there anything you can do with a tune that would be an improvement on your already wonderful standard tune?

Cheers, Shane

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Dealer prices the Luk Kit is still over 600 because you have to get the Dual Mass flywheel too. My Fidanza Flywheel is geting shipped out to south bend and they are modding it to fit their clutch that will be here next Wednesday. The Fidanza is made pre TSB and it will not work with the Luk kit it is 9 7/16in ckutch disc diameter and the fidanza only accepts the 8 7/8in SUmmit can get a OEM Replacement that is TSB from Zoom or Perfection it comes with the Dual Mass flywheel and everything fit cost 485.39 PM me if you would like the P/N because it is special order only and not listed on the website you have to call

they're like 4XX on ebay last time i checked

·
Registered
303 Posts
02SVTsilverstreak,

If SPEC are so close to you, and you can get such a good deal, you've got nothing to lose. I would question getting a Stage 3 though, as my Stage 2 grips like a female Russian arm wrestler, and the pedal pressure is a bit more than Ford's SVT original. Hey, the same woman might work for SPEC testing these things, and probably has a part time job on the side kick starting Jumbo jets!!!!! That said, two days into the new clutch, I feel absolutely comfortable with it. The extra pedal pressure seems comfortable now, and the stronger 'bite' is a wonderful thing!

Cheers, Shane

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom, I failed to mention that I have all 3 Steeda Mounts, so this car has been and will be modified. I'm planning on a Torsen T-2 as well with all of this. I said cost effective meaning nothing outrageous, since I can get these things thru a dealer. I meant well, shit nvm [rofl]

I think I will go with the Spec Clutch Kit. I've heard alot of good things about them. I dont mind the pedal stiffness at all. I actually like that heavy pedal feel. keeps me awake. this car is too much of a powder puff right now. thirty minute drive, forget it, I'm in the ditch. The mounts vibrations didnt even phase me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts