Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me how to tint the side markers on my SAP? And the tailights? I'm trying to go for almost a solid black car I have a problem with theives and cops so I figured if they cant see it the better!

·
Registered
759 Posts
focus_racer19 said:
can anyone tell me how to tint the side markers on my SAP? And the tailights? I'm trying to go for almost a solid black car I have a problem with theives and cops so I figured if they cant see it the better!
Making your car less visible to the police is exactly why there are laws against it... check your local laws

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but I dont think tinted tails or the refeltors on the SAP are illegal. Trust me When I'm done it will be plenty visable when I'm driving it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm actually fairly positive tinting your tails is illegal.

EDIT this if from the CALI Trans site, to give you idea of the laws that may or may not govern your lights

# Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
# Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
# Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
# Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).
# Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles (24003 VC).
# Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal (24011 VC). If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).
# Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors (24600 VC).
# Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).
# Driving with just parking lights on (24800 VC). Vehicles that have factory-installed automatic daytime running lights must meet federal requirements and are legal.
# Illegal decorative lights (24003 VC). All flashing decorative lights are illegal (25250 VC).
# Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed. (25106 VC, 24003 VC).

·
Registered
875 Posts
I believe cbrenn's tail light tinting stays in spec. He never goes dark enough to hide the reflectors from shining through, the light still comes through brightly enough and red, the reverse lights remain untinted.

As for tinting turn signals, if you do one layer of 20%, you get the nearly black look when they are off, but when you turn them on, it's almost as bright as it originally was, even in the daytime.

That's been my experience, anyway.

I didn't realize front turn signals could be white, though. That makes me want those ST170's but with clear signals in black housing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its not the turn signals that I want black its the ugly yellow reflector on the side of the SAP. I think vht makes paint that could do the same effect but im not sure.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I have 5% on my side markers, and my front markers.....

I'd say get some 20% stick on time, and see if that works....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Like they said. You can do it at home with VHT Nightshade. I did it myself to my tails. I live in Texas as well and the laws around here say as long as the reflectors are visible from xxx feet and as long as the brake lights and running lights are visible from xxx feet then your good. Just make sure not to completely black out the lights.

Kinda like this:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks for the help and sweet focus b.t.w I'm gonna just get some vht paint. Now if only i could change my stock headlights!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts