Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the roof/spoiler and i did the center section of my hood with semi-gloss black vinyl. It was my first time working with it, and it wasn't the easiest thing ever, but it feels worth it. Anyways. I know i need tint on the rear windows, re-tint my taillights. So that's next on my to do list. Also, i have vinyl left, so if someone has some suggestions, let me know! Oh and swirl remover is getting done ASAP!

Anyways, here's some pictures from tonight, since that's when i finished. Sorry it's dirty. (Pics are on a 30 second shutter and some little LED flashlights, sorry about the lighting[:)]). I'll try to get some daytime ones in the next couple days.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice.... how much was it?
I bought 10 yards of 48 inch wide vinyl. So i paid around 65 bucks +/-. I just fitted/cut it myself. I figure it's cheaper to buy it in bulk and do whatever you want, instead of chancing a 40 dollar pre-cut vinyl piece not working out for you. You also have plenty spare if/when you mess up. I have about, 4-5 yards of material left.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
thats sick. how long did it take?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats sick. how long did it take?
Since it was my first time and i had no idea what i was doing? Probably like 4 or 5 hours total. But to be honest, i think i need to redo the roof and possibly the spoiler (caused a little wrinkle because i wasn't paying enough attention). I understand the process now. I was crappy at it when i did the roof/spoiler. I could probably do the whole process over again in like 3 hours total.

Also, if you're going to do it, BUY A HEAT GUN. It will save you soooooooo much time/brainsprains.

Reactions: SilverDuratecZX3

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
where did you get the vinyl? im looking to do the same thing now

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very nice job, and what camera are u using btw? love the shots, r u using wireless flash?
Canon 7d. And i used a 30 second shutter, f5.6, iso 125 and what i did was just walk around the car with some little LED flashlights to even out the lighting over the entire car. Just a little tip with that, never shine the light on yourself or you'll see the ghost images of you in the picture. Also, i should have gone to a darker area so that the street light didn't make the street glow orange, but oh well. Also, doing a couple flashes with a wireless flash would be just as, if not more, effective than what i did.

Thanks for all the thumbs up everyone! [headbang]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks good and i now hate u lol! You took my idea. I should be getting my free vinyl in this week and will be doing the exact same thing.
Haha! Well i was thinking about it for a while, then i saw it actually done in various ways on here and i was sold (so in a way, it wasn't even my idea either). Shout out to SuperFlea, SilverDuratecZX3 and 2 POINT 0 Zetec who all had cool cars that inspired me. [cheers]

Make sure to post up pics when you do it man! I have spare vinyl and i'm feeling like i need more in some area of my car.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Yea I should be getting it this week so once its done ill definatly post up pics. I'm not sure if I'm gonna do the roof also. I might wait and see if I like the hood first
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks good vinyl isnt easy takes a lot time and patience. Nice work.
No joke. Thanks man.

Also, I re-cut the hood a little thinner because i was dissatisfied with how it turned out. Also did the middle door section and the ford emblems just for fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.