Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not had my wagon very long and doing some much needed maintenance at 89,000 miles. Removed the fuel filter and this mess came out of the inlet side. The car runs pretty good but the idle is low and so is the fuel mileage, about 20 mpg (city).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Not to sound weird, but did you smell it? If so, what did it smell like?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would just finish doing the filter. If it runs, why worry.
Then, I would actually replace the new filter in a month. Se if it too is full of crud.
It could haave been a single fill of crummy gas, OR, someone stuck some dirt into your gastank. and your filter saved you.
But if your car runs OK, i would not really worry about it.
As I said, just check the new filter in a month, replacing it wouldn't hurt any.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think to smell of it. The car runs decent but the fuel mileage could be better. Just curious if anyone else had run into this black filter goo.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
that probably hasn't been changed for awhile. I've found that on a few cars. hopefully it doesn't kill your fuel pump yet since that's what most of these have done.

·
Registered
444 Posts
that probably hasn't been changed for awhile. I've found that on a few cars. hopefully it doesn't kill your fuel pump yet since that's what most of these have done.
So wait, I've owned my car since 2001 and i've never changed my fuel filter... now that im about to change it I can scrap my fuel pump?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
if it works it works...... it's probably pretty clogged, and that causes excess strain on the pump; leave it too long and the pump dies.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've seen that on a couple filters I've changed. Try pouring the fuel out the other side. I bet it was clean. The dirt was coming out of the filter, that is what it is suppose to trap. This is normal for filters that have not been changed frequently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to interject, black colored gasoline can be a result of someone putting sugar in your tank, it will also plug up a filter and a fuel pump sock. Also never purchase fuel when you see a tanker delivering fuel to a gas station. The action on them dumping fuel into the tanks stirs up the sediment in the tanks and then to the customers that get fuel before it settles. This is why you need to change your fuel filter yearly.

·
Registered
16,017 Posts
If ethanol used in your local fuel it's from water corrosion effect. Here in Texas I haven't seen a filter off of 4 cars not have some of it since they began using ethanol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts