Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i recently tried painting my chrome grille black on my 07 hatchback and i was wondering how it would hold up and i see a few tiny chips already so i thought i would look for a ST grille in black to maybe replace it. where is the best place to buy one for the best price? or if they sell just a black replacement grille for the 07 focus that would work too. thanks! if anyone knows the part #'s i would need that would help alot too.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You may have to paint the bezel (Part that surrounds the mesh part of the grille). Head into your Ford dealer and tell the parts guy you want the Black Grille Bezel for a Black Focus ST.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
ya i painted mine on my 05 and its chipping bad. it looks like garbage now. next is to strip it and try self etching primer. if that doesnt do the trick im going to pay for a black one

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it was looking good for a while, but im afraid its going to keep chipping. do you know about how much the st grille will be? thanks again.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
If you paint chrome I would use Etching primer first. But another trick is taking a blow-torch and making quick passes across it, it'll start to flake up the chrome and you can peel it off.

I have a fiberglass grill and when I painted it I used Dupli-Color wheel clear coat. It's real tough stuff, and for over a year now I still don't have any chips.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
has anyone heard of the brand fresh cabin air? i just happened to do a search on amazon for grilles and they have a black one on there for like 24 bucks made by that company and i think like 19 bucks shipping. wasnt sure if it was very good quality though.

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
there are some grills on ebay with black surrounds i basically took my crome one with the black insert and put it into the black ebay grill suround
*note they arent ST grills they seem to be some kinda knock offs but it looks fine enough on my car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts