Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to put Black Powdercoat on my 02 SVT wheels how would I go about doing so?

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
lol or you could call a local shop they will usualy give you a quote.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You can do this by being prepared to pay a bit of cash. I had mine done. $100 per wheel cus I paid cash. Plus it's best to have them sanblasted before you take them to get PC'd. Or they will charge you to have it done. In total I spent $125.00 per wheel to have them powdercoated.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
or just do it ur self with some sand paper and some spray paint and some clear.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
the best thing to do, and I have a lot of experience at doing this from work is to get a few powder coaters phone numbers from the internet or phone book, and ask for a quote for 4 wheels and answer thier questions, then ask how to prepare the wheels for powder coating. Some places include everything in thier price, while others dont. Then choose the one who fits the bill the best. Also ask for some pictures of other finished products because some powder coaters quality is on the poor side.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
There is no prep work when powdercoating besides having them sandblasted. And ofcourse removing the tires and valve stems.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Actually the metal has to be cleaned otherwise it wont stick, sometimes they will do it themselfs via sandblasting or washing it via pressure washer, its all up to you when you pay though. I know when we get stuff powdercoated at work the guy will take a pressure washer and get all the grease off and then put it in a drying oven, then once dry he will powder coat it, but sand blasting does the same thing. A lot of times too they will want old paint removed and stuff like that, so if you painted your rims you may want to take it off, unless your sandblasting it, which once again will take care of that.

So basically if your having it sand blasted dont worry about the prep besides tire removal and valve stem removal, if you arnt then ask how to prep or see what it will cost you to have them do it. You can see if you even need them sandblasted prior to coating too, on clean metal you dont have to, im not sure about wheels though, may have some sort of coating.

·
Registered
144 Posts
wow, i just got a quote from my local powder coater, and it was $100 for all four wheels, gloss black. I have to blast them myself but still, i thought that was an awesome deal!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
YEa, that is way to cheap. And as I always say, you get what you pay for. Id get some more quotes and go look at their work. I actually got a full tour of a place and that's the one I picked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts