Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed I've got this black dust all over my front wheels. Worse than your usual one day buildup of brake dust. Looks more like a couple weeks of buildup. Is it just excessive because the car is brand new with only 130 miles on it, or do you think this is something I should have looked at?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Check the brand of brake pads you've got...some are known to "dust off" more than others...typically, the cheaper the pad, the more dust you get.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
stock brake pads are notoriously dusty. What you are describing is completely normal for the focus. A bit of detailing advice would be to apply a coat of high-quality synthetic wax to your wheels after you clean them next time. This will make the wheels a whole lot easier to keep clean.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LokiG said:
Check the brand of brake pads you've got...some are known to "dust off" more than others...typically, the cheaper the pad, the more dust you get.
Apparently! [:0]

I've never had a set of wheels get this dusty this fast.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I've never had a set of wheels get this dusty this fast."

What until you get a BMW. They are notorious for brake dust on the wheels from the OEM pads.

·
Registered
134 Posts
when i had the "oe" pads in i never had a brake dust problem in this car, but with the 02 sedan i had that was a different story, the front wheels were black after a couple of days , but yeah like easyrider tim said , wash yer damn car ! [thumb] [confused]

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That waxing seems like work. Just get some simple green, spray it on there and let it sit a couple minutes. The brake dust comes right off, no big deal. I just did it over the weekend and I had my wheels clean in about 5-10 minutes and that was with over two months worth of brake dust on them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You have to be careful with some wheels because they have a coating on them or some chrome wheels may be discolored and harsh cleaners are a nono. Tirerack has some good wheel wax that i ordered with my new wheels. Works well.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Yes! Different wheel finishes can be a pita. I used to have these nice aluminum wheels on my old car, well they weren't clear coated or anything, so the dust just gripped into every tiny metal pore it found!

I attacked them with cleaner, until I noticed pockmarks, like tiny pitting all over them. That stopped but some damage was done!

I think Eagle One makes a cleaner A2Z or something, says its safe for all wheels. Always read the back to see if the product might not be made for your wheel! But once they're clean, I've also found the waxing to be a Huge help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts