Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case you were wondering, or considering ordering some. Here are the Gorilla Black Chrome Lugs on the Painted Pocket 17s. They do stick out a bit farther than the factory lugs. But you forget about it after a couple days. It is to note, as I've seen some complain. The black "chrome" is not "polished" chrome. They are not "shiny". However they are not flat either. I would say a good semi-gloss. I am actually VERY surprised at the quality of the finish. They came just boxed all together loosely, and there is only surface scuffs, no scratching to note. These are The System offered by Gorilla. #71633NBC

P.S. I do have a clear bra on the front too, if you were wondering if it would be an eye-sore. I LOVE it! Bugs clean right off.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-71633NBC-System-Chrome/dp/B00280CSF0

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
They do look nice, but do those stock wheels accept acorn style lug nuts?

And +1 on clear bra, stuff rules! Did you get the whole front wrapped, or just the hood?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, acorn lugs were on there from the factory.

And I have the entire front end covered two feet up the hood. No one even knows it's there until they touch it.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Lookin' good newmission. I found some other Gorilla lugs that are 'black' instead of 'black chrome' but it says "small diameter." Anybody know what difference that makes or if that means they won't fit on my 18's?

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom..._4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1313958027&sr=1-4
The ones you pulled are just standard lug nuts in a black finish.
The ones the op pointed to are LOCKING wheel nuts.

I own a 16 set from my SVT, and can say the locking ones are really good if you have ANY concerns about having your wheels stolen.
The Gorilla locks can be defeated by a smart thief, but are very nice for casual protection. and much better than those ones with the key in the face of the nut.
PS if you buy the locks, be certain to order a spare key!! and do NOT buy one lock per wheel, get the full set of 20.
And remember to take the lock key to the dealer when getting service, and doubly make certain you get it back!!! cuz' once it is in some shop guys tool chest.. it is gone.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This is all foreign to me. I've never heard of anyone stealing wheels before.

How exactly do these lock, and what would you do with the key?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I guess up in Canada you are all pretty honest.
Around here in the USA, any bigger city.. Whoosh wheels gone as soon as you are parked for a few hours.
You come back to your car and it is up a cinder blocks, no wheels.
So the idea is you have these locks on the wheels so they are harder to steal. Then at least the neighborhood vandals will not be grabbing the wheels just because they can. (not THAT common, but still enough to worry about)
So there are various kinds of wheel locks.

The most common ones are a nut with a pattern on the end which is unique, That acorn nut has no hex, only the pattern on top, then you have a special tool that will fit that special pattern. The upside s they are hard to steal. The downside is they get torn up, and if YOU can't get the bolt off either... well.
Usually those are one special bolt per wheel.

The Gorilla locks are a little different. They use a set of cuts around he circumference of a tube. Then the special tool has the same pattern of ridges inside a tube that match up to your acorn nut locks. Only your tool can open your locks. the problem with that, is a tool with just ONE ridge can be used to open the locks... though it is pretty hard to do anyway, as that tool may break.
Still ,not foolproof, just makes it a lot harder for a casual thief to steal your wheels on a lark.
Gorilla locks come in sets of four so one each wheel. Or, set of 16 or 20 for four bolt and five bolt pattern wheels.
I owned the 16 set for my SVT.
Peace of mind when ghetto hopping.
If you live in the country, or some safe nation where folks are generally honest. you do not need wheel locks.
But go to Detroit, park your car .. you need locks. [dunno]

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lookin' good newmission. I found some other Gorilla lugs that are 'black' instead of 'black chrome' but it says "small diameter." Anybody know what difference that makes or if that means they won't fit on my 18's?
You still haven't got your question answered. Yes those "small diameter" lugs will "work". However they are what you call a "tuner lug". They are meant for a tuner style wheel like they have pictured in that link you posted. The holes in a tuner wheel are very small diameter. Even a normal socket won't fit down in the holes. As a result, your acorn taper is smaller as well. If you put tuner lugs on a NON tuner wheel, the lugs will only be seating on a percentage of the holes since it is bigger. Besides that, they will look way out of place in a large hole. And to note, tuner lugs are NOT locking. They are a spline type, but the spline is the same pattern all the way around.

In a nut shell, do NOT buy "tuner" "small diameter" lugs for factory wheels, or after market wheels unless they are required.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok I do not know much about cars and parts, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.. I want to replace the blue Ford caps in the middle.. I got this whole thread confused lol Where did you get yours?

Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
The key is just an attachment for a ratchet?

I guess you would then store it in the glove box incase you ever have to change a tire.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The key is just an attachment for a ratchet?

I guess you would then store it in the glove box incase you ever have to change a tire.
Posted via FF Mobile
YES, you MUST have the key to change a tire.
(as someone mentioned, they can be emergency taken off with an ordinary socket hammered on (very bad idea BTW)
And I would hide the key....
And the Gorilla tool has only a hex end, so you need a fitting metric 1/2 drive socket to fit the Gorilla lock. Complicated yes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts