Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I hope somebody recognises my Focus engine problem and can advise because this fault is driving me crazy...

I drive a Y reg Focus 2.0 Ghia (petrol) estate. Recently it's started to fail to hold idle revs after starting up. When starting the engine it fires perfectly normally, then as the revs drop down to idle it falls into a stall and cuts out. A restart used to be enough to get it going, but now it's been refusing to keep running no matter how many restarts you try.

The bizarre thing is - I can get it to start by walking away for five mins, coming back and restarting it. It will still be cold, but it'll start up fine. This means I have to try starting her up on a morning ten minutes before I need to leave for work, go back indoors, twiddle my thumbs, then go back out knowing it'll start fine. Once running like this, the engine runs great.

This was all until most recently, and now even this technique fails to get the engine started. Now what I have to do is sit with my foot gently on the accelerator to keep the engine from stalling until it finally takes over for itself. This can take anywhere between 10 seconds and 20 minutes, not necessarily depending on how long it's been sitting idle nor the temperature outside.

One interesting behaviourism is that once it does finally take control of the idling speed, it does so with a boost of revs (up to say 3500 rpm) before dropping back down. I'm not an expert, but wouldn't this be the normal behaviour of the choke at engine start - a kick of revs?

I ought to add that on one morning I called out Greenflag. They plugged a handheld computer into the ECU and it reported no diagnostic problems. They couldn't locate the fault so they couldn't help me out. Does anyone know what the source of this problem might be? Choke? Idler? ECU?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Thoric

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
first off, Welcome to FF.com!

I do apologize though. The description that you gave has stumped me. I'm sure though that someone of more knowlege will come in to help!

·
Registered
324 Posts
id say ur first bet is your idle air control valve.. then maybe check your throttle position sensor.. could be naff.. but these dont necessarily call a code. lool check your IACV first anyway.. then go from there. welcome to the forum btw! lol good to see another UK focus driver on here! i always feel left out.. lool!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks djmontara. I'll check the idle air control valve. I've heard of cleaning sprays you can fire into air inlets to sort out mucky sensors etc., would such a spray be appropriate here? Or am I pretty much forced to strip it down for a proper clean-up?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I'd also guess the idle air control. Also, it could be your throttle position sensor, mine went out and cause similar idle problems although it wouldn't stall and die.

·
Registered
324 Posts
u know what man? i wouldnt spray stuff into the inlets tbh. the iacv on our engines (the 1.8 and 2.0) are the hardest to get to compared to the 1.6! its located behind the intake manifold and usually requires removal of that or the alternator to get to it... people have cleaned it out with stuff like WD40.. but i wouldnt.. id say, best bet is to get a new one. cos usually cleaning will only make it last for a little while longer. since u have to do so much to get to the thing, id say change it instead of cleaning it!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
also look at little things like plugs and plug wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the useful advice! [wave]

It'll be a few days before I get a chance to try anything, especially if I need to get a new idle control valve first. I'll post back when all goes wrong, I mean, when I'm done! [hihi]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts