Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not see a general mechanics forum...

but what would make a catalytic converter rattle?
I actually went under the car to try to track down where the rattle was coming from, so I tapped on the down pipe (everything was already cooled down).
and I could hear it coming from the cats, (2 of em). I did not see a mount or anything of the nature that could be loose. And it did seem as if the sound was comming from inside the cats and not any of the pipes.

And with that, would a cat issue cause hessitation or an effect similar to a missfire?

Thanks ladies and gents.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If the material within the cat starts to come loose it will rattle. It will also cause the effect you described.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pheww.... Thank you.

I figured as much. Its just $150 cheaper to have someone who knows or has experienced it before. Benz dealers are evil, $150 would have been just for the diag.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Foc said:
If the material within the cat starts to come loose it will rattle. It will also cause the effect you described.

Sorry, also...

The effect is caused by the increased restriction due to the material comming loose?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
wait, is the problem on your Focus, or your C280?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
yeah the stuff in the cat could have broken apart and is not cloggging the cat.if you unbolt the cat you should be able to look inside and see if anything's there if you turn it upside down some stuff may fall out.

i'm sure you can get a new/used one for like $100-200(assuming it's the benz)

look on mbworld or whatever it is

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
babyface said:
wait, is the problem on your Focus, or your C280?
Its for the C280... (coulda swore I put this in general...
And it looks like I did, but it got moved... :0)

hkysk8r07 said:
yeah the stuff in the cat could have broken apart and is not cloggging the cat.if you unbolt the cat you should be able to look inside and see if anything's there if you turn it upside down some stuff may fall out.

i'm sure you can get a new/used one for like $100-200(assuming it's the benz)

look on mbworld or whatever it is
alrighty... thank you much.

This is going to be a pretty penny... its 2 cats Y'd into one muffler. So I am not sure if its both or one of em that fallin apart. I can just hear something comming from them.

Again, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
cpyder said:
Its for the C280... (coulda swore I put this in general...
And it looks like I did, but it got moved... :0)

alrighty... thank you much.

This is going to be a pretty penny... its 2 cats Y'd into one muffler. So I am not sure if its both or one of em that fallin apart. I can just hear something comming from them.

Again, thanks guys.
you can always just gut them and scrape all the crap out that making noise[paranoid] [:D]

you can look into carsound cats to replace them with then take it to a muffler shop to install. depending how strict your states emission laws are. does FL even have emissions?? if not just put in 1 high flow cat or something should work out in the end.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct, Fla does not have emissions any more. However, its still illegal for the shop to delete the cat. I am not sure if there are any sensors involved with the exhaust of the C280, I still have yet to get to a shop.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...
I stopped by the MBenz dealer on friday to visit the parts department. HOLY Fauker. 2 parts, the first was about $900 and the other was about $450. JUST IN PARTS. Well, needless to say I did not get it done there. would have been over $3000 to replace 2 cats, some bends, and 1... count them 1 sensor.

Went to the muffler shop my dad always goes to and they hacked off the old cats. Nice huge chunks of grey matter were all over the ground before the first cat ever fell. After both cats were off they started the car up to blow any crap that was left. The car sounded like it was farting.... and sharding, more grey stuff. Good news for me, my car works now and it only cost me $380. $180 per high flow cat and $20 for the welds. If I do not hear any exaust leaks by next weekend, I'ma bring em a 6 pack.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ haha... nice. Thank you, Thank you.

Although I think the cat material might have messed up the one sensor on the downpipe, so I will order that from the dealer and swap that sucker. Then clear the check engine light and I should be all good again. :0)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts