Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate how small the side mirrors are on my 2007 SE. Are there any bigger mirrors I could buy that would fit right on?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi, I took some Mazda 3 (2006-2008) sideview mirrors, cut them, and glued them to Focus OEM mirror bases. Some sanding and painting did the rest. I like them, a big improvement in viewing surfaces and it matches between, the sharp angles of the Mk1.5.

I have a set of extra Mazda ones if you want them but any junkyard in your area will have some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks awesome! What do you mean glued them to the bases, you just took the old mirrors off and glued these on?

Either way I want to try this, how much for those mirrors?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here are some infos. There are 2 ways to do it.

A) WITH FORD OEM MIRROR BASE

1) get a set of used OEM Focus mirrors - in case you miss your experimentation!!

2) cut them in a way you have only the part that screws to the body and the bottom part (flat base).

3) cut the Mazda ones to fit the base

4) glue the parts together using urethane or epoxy

5) bondo and sanding and painting to propre finish

B) WITH MAZDA OEM MIRROR BASE

The key is the shape of the triangle base that screws to the body. In the many hours I've spent in junkyards with a cardboard template of the Focus triangle in hands, the Mazda 3 has the closest to that triangle and the look I was after.

The triangle angles are very very close. Only a few adjustments (sanding, grinding) were needed to had both of them nearly identical. You have to be patient and work mm by mm (or .001 by 0.01in). And a lot of fitment test onto the body.

Thats is the easiest part. The difficult part is to have them fixed on the Ford body! The holes and their locations aren't the same. And I wanted to be able to remove them as OEM would. This is were I am now: how to have them solidly while removable at the same time. My guess would be to pour liquid plastic into the interior the Mazda mirrors and then drill holes accordingly.

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Not a big thing: simply cut and weld the proper adjustment/heat wires. My mirrors are heated and adjustable, as SES OEM ones.

PRICE

Its not worth packing and shipping. You should be able to get the two sets (Ford and Mazda) into a local junkyard. You need :
  • any 2001-2007 OEM Focus mirrors heated and electrical (well mechanical ones would world too)
  • any 2005-2008 OEM Mazda 3 mirrors
for less than 60US$ for both sets.

Good luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
You might be able to swap 08-11 Mk2 mirrors. Not sure, but I think I've seen it here. My approach to a question like this would be to go to a junkyard and try it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
May be wrong but the windshield/window frame angle of the mk2 is not the same as Mk1.5.

The Mazda 3 angles are closer to the ones of Mk1.5.

Beside, personal taste here, the Mk2 mirrors aren't as beautiful (better fit on the overall design of the Mk1,5) as Mazda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts