Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm using SCT Advantage III (Pro Racer Package) to tune. I run about 11.5 afr in boost.

Reactions: cheap sleeper

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
A few updates to the car.

First... It survived it's first race season, which was pretty cool. It went through belts, coolant, and now is pissing oil everywhere with winter being here and some other issues... but it survived.

Second, the car is loud.. even with the turbo. The resonator that came with the 3" exhaust I purchased is pretty much a straight pipe as it's completely packed up with carbon. I decided to at least try to be inspection friendly and welded up a replacement section with a generic cat and Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. It's still loud... but at least it's trying to be cleaner.

I've been having so many issues tuning. I've never had this many problems on any Ford before. I have to imagine I've botched something in the build or installation... or maybe just failed parts. Some days the tune is spot on, other times it dies and I have to update the tune to even keep it running. I will soon have full time access to my own garage and will be able to give the car the attention it needs both in tuning and in maintenance.

Most recently, my ignition switch died. I've wanted to do a battery relocation and push button start for a bit, but this sudden switch death in the middle of winter moved me a little quicker. For now I've only wired in the ignition switches, but will move to battery relocation and cutoff once things get a bit warmer.

Reactions: cheap sleeper

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks. Hopefully I'll have the car running well enough to get in a few more action shots later in the season. So far I've lucked out and the races have been canceling due to course conditions.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Bought my first house, so the car kinda sat on the back burner a bit with some tinkering here and there. Oil analysis had been showing a bit of lead in the oil, I was getting a bit of blow by, and the turbo was giving me oil issues and coating my charge piping quite a bit. I finally have the time to dedicate to the car again so I've ripped it all apart and going for version 3 of the Cougar/Focus hybrid. This motor may end up in my new project car depending on what the cylinders measure out at, but either way it's going to get the rebuild it needs after 11 years (most of which it was left sitting in Louisiana heat and humidity.

Stripped the motor down and found some scarring on cylinder 3's rod bearing. A nice gouge down to the copper seems to be the source of most of the lead showing up in analysis I'd guess. The bearings all have a bit of streaking in them, so either the long sitting around or the dirty ass conditions I ran this thing through have taken their toll. I changed the oil after each race or every 1500 miles, so something contaminated the oil once and ruined it, or just general dirty conditions and bad air filtration got it I guess.

The cylinder head was refinished the last time I went through the motor, and still looks perfect. I'll be leaving it how it is and not sending it off for any work. I currently have the motor I originally pulled out of this car at the machine shop getting measured up and worked as needed for a rebuild.

Also, the new rally cross project that I picked up should be fun... I plan on a low boost 10.6:1 compression, LSD, and not loud exhaust build on this one. I'm taking over my friend's build thread over at: 02 ZX3 Build

21 - 26 of 26 Posts