Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the big problem is I don't know if my tranny went or my axles went. All the tranny fluid leaked. Seems like it came from the driver side. I went to take off and it didn't go anywhere then I slapped it into reverse and took reverse fine, but I tried going forward again and it wouldn't grab. I heard a big a$$ noise and it didn't sound to go. The car tried to go forward, cause it moved about an inch, but with lots of trouble.

What do you people think went bad.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
To be safe, take it/tow it to a shop and have it looked at.
Sounds serious and I wouldn't want to make it any worse by tinkering with it.
I had this happen to my '79 civic(clown car) and the flywheel cracked and busted.
Mine did the same thing. Made a noise. I could shift in to gear but the car would not move.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Micro that's what I'm probably going to do

Cris,
Why would it be the throw out bearing? That would cause it to move alittle and leak all the tranny fluid? If it's the throw out bearing you think that my clutch may have gone too?? Let me know.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
auto or manual tranny? either way your screwed. hopefully a manual tranny, they are cheaper to repair

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's a manual tranny and I'm really hoping it's anything, but the tranny. Cause if it is the tranny it's just going to sit for a long time.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Sounds like the tranny to me..sorry to say, but just get it fixed it is a bite in the butt but otherwise you have a big lawn ornament

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I feel for you, that dont sound good at all.... Sorry man.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This really stinks if it's the tranny. I guess I'll find out once I take it all apart. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
damn sorry bud....doesn't FORD's warranty cover the tranny if it goes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard of a Focus with a Zetec engine, and the MTX-75 transaxle (I assume you don't have the SPI Engine) It did make Horrible noises, and seemed to not want to go, then more loud noise, turned out to be the "spider" gears in the differential were broken, it is possible that when the gear broke it somehow loosened the C.V. stubshaft retainer clip and pushed the C.V. joint out of the case till the joint cleared the seal resulting in all your fluid leaking out. Another scenario is that the differential case spider pin punched a hole in the case. Either way not good.

I would contact your selling dealer and inqiure about the possibility of an after warranty adjustment, Don't yell at them, don't scream, be civil, you may get some assistance, Ford allows dealers to help customers even after their warranty has expired. Do realise that After Warranty Adjustments have specific guidelines, Your Focus may or may not qualify based in current mileage, months in service, proof of maintenance, etc.

If Your Differential did fail, maybe now is a great time to convert it to a Quafe Differential.

Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Focusinct. I was actually going to go stop in the dealer and speak to the service manager to see what he suggests.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Check your POWERTRAIN warranty. Mine is 5years-100k miles. Yours may still be under warranty. Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doubt it due to the mods on the car. I'm not even relying on the warranty. Rather not get frustrated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts