Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know where i can find a big brake conversion for my car that not only converts the front rotors to much bigger but also converts the rear drum to disc?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
just buy the svt brake upgrade kit, you'll get discs all around plus the fronts are upsized

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have 18 in rims and want the rotor to take up a bunch of the space.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
focuzed1 said:
At least your honest about your intent. The bottom line is that to fill an 18 will cost a ton of money and will likely not result in any significant braking improvements or may actually make your braking worse. "All show and no go" may be relavent in this situation. If it were me, I would take that money and spend it on real performance.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Geezer said:
At least your honest about your intent. The bottom line is that to fill an 18 will cost a ton of money and will likely not result in any significant braking improvements or may actually make your braking worse. "All show and no go" may be relavent in this situation. If it were me, I would take that money and spend it on real performance.
very weel said, beside. beside, if you want show, get the powerslot rotors, wont be bigger they are a dimpled and slotted. that what i have right before i cahnge over to my conversion. which i stillhave not yet decide on.
but yes, check out that thread i started in the link mentioned above

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i really dont race much at least not autocross and i think my car stops plenty well but i just want it to look really good too. and i already have a good amount of perormance spent on it i am just waiting on my turbo stuff now...cant wait[thumb]

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
focuzed1 said:
OK the biggest rotors you can buy will not be good performance wise. You will be locking them up everytime you hit the brake pedal and your 0-60 stopping distance will suffer as a result. You should get the SVT upgrade with some nice pads and stainless steel lines. This will give you the best performance of any kit IMO.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks ill look into it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Geezer said:
to fill 18s would take bigger brakes, and i dont know what youre smoking, but bigger brakes mean more stopping power, and braking would improve because of this, i think its a great idea to upgrade your brakes, i wish i could big enough to fill 18s, but i just dont have a budget, too few people slap a turbo on their ride and never upgrade the brakes, because the stock brakes are made to stop a car with stock horsepower, and having a turbo and stock brakes isnt the best idea in my book. i say go for it, find what you happy with and do it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
To fill out 18" wheels you'd be looking at something like the Brembo GT kit...starts around $2500 or so and requires SVT spindles. They'd be nice...its a two-piece rotor (the braking surface and the central hub are seperate) with an eight-piston caliper, four on both sides, but unless you seriously race your car for cash prizes or have a sponsor it'd be insane to drop that kind of money on brakes.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Still...$1500 is a lot for just the front brakes, especially considering on a daily driver they'll never be used to their full potential.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
true i dont think i can afford that. where is a good place to get the svt conversion kit for cheap. or as chep as poss.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
^^^ the setup that north coast will be selling will fill up 18s if you get the 2600 set with the brembos. the brembo kit that steeda is NOT the grandsport kit that has 2 piece rotors. also note that the largest brakes that i have seen for a focus are the 4 piston calipers in the brembo grandsport kit. baer makes front and rear kits for the focus that have 2 piston calipers up front and single piston calipers in the back so that you can maintain the proper brake proportioning.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The second kit is the RS brake/suspension kit, it has options for Brembo or Cobra calipers. You'd need to either shave your current fenders or buy RS fenders since the RS suspension geometry is set up for 18x8 wheels. That'd be even more expensive...

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Trickfocus said:
to fill 18s would take bigger brakes, and i dont know what youre smoking, but bigger brakes mean more stopping power, and braking would improve because of this, i think its a great idea to upgrade your brakes, i wish i could big enough to fill 18s, but i just dont have a budget, too few people slap a turbo on their ride and never upgrade the brakes, because the stock brakes are made to stop a car with stock horsepower, and having a turbo and stock brakes isnt the best idea in my book. i say go for it, find what you happy with and do it.

Bigger brakes DO NOT GUARANTEE more stopping power. That is a false statement and misleads people into making wrong and expensive decisions. Please read all the braking referenced articles in the thread at the top of this page before you make such a statement. Horsepower does not appear is any mathematical calculation used to determine appropriate brake sizing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts