Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having electrical trouble with my 2003 model for some time now and have decided to upgrade the wiring. Does anyone have any suggestions for any good Big 3 upgrade kits?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
439 Posts
^This
If you're planning an audio build, above modest, then go with the slightly pricier ones. Otherwise, go with the CCA kit, or some solid 4 gauge OFC.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i165_power-ground-cable.html

You're paying for OFC (good) vs CCA (just ok) .

Ex: I've used the NVX 0gauge power/ground for my Big 3. However, ill be pushing up to 2k from my audio once I'm done.

·
Registered
541 Posts
What are these "electrical" problems? Do you have enough draw to warrant the NEED of a grounding kit.

I would suggest cleaning the ground points first. Simply unbolt them and sand the areas that touch eachother. Clean the battery terminals and make sure they are tight, and while your there spray over all these areas with a battery terminal spray. Then consider your altenator could cause problems too.

There isn't anything wrong with grounding but 4awg is good for 1000rms/150a which is enough for most basic systems if your wondering as 0awg also cost double. The focus only needs about 6ft of wire to do the big 3. 6 ring terminals, 4 if you use new battery terminals instead and any covering you might add whether it would be plastic or better. 4awg is usually about $1/foot and 0awg is about $2/foot. the copper ring terminals really changes the price, you can get away with using "pure copper ring terminals (lugs)". Stay away from using those cheap flimsy looking ones with the insulating crimp piece on it. If you want a little protection over the connection use heat shrink

Alt ground

Battery Ground

The positive is sitting on my tool box, I ran out of heat shrink and the car its in isn't driving right now so Its not terribly high on my list. These are 4 awg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts