Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Which do I need?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I know theres loads of threads about this but there doesn't seem to be a common consensus. Since I installed my alpine 500W rms amp for my sub, the headlights dim with the heavy bass notes. I'm also about to sinstall another 4x70W rms amp for my door speakers which I'm assuming wont help. What can I do to stop the headlights dimming? Big 3 or capacitor?

·
Registered
524 Posts
x2^^ do the big 3 first then get a cap it will also help

·
Registered
144 Posts
what is the big 3 again? the ground?power from battery to starter?

·
Registered
144 Posts
ok cool i have alot of welding wire from doing hydraulics that should be ok right?

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
Big 3 is block to ground, batt to ground, and alternator to battery
do that first and also add a cap

·
Registered
144 Posts
ive always thought 4awg was to small

·
Banned
263 Posts
no 4awg is not to small.true 4awg will be overkill

·
Registered
930 Posts
Probably don't need a cap after doing the big three...don't waste your money there.
Hyper ground system is a good, ready to mount, solution...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
im running 4awg power and ground with my 800w rms amp and a 1.0 farad digital stinger cap.

·
Registered
398 Posts
4 gauge is plenty for you. Plenty.

Don't get the cap- just do the big 3 and all it a day.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Sounds to me like everybody is guessing here. It could well be your amps are drawing more total current than the alternator is putting out. And the system voltage is dropping below normal.

Check the voltage with the engine running at about 1500rpms....it should be around 14V. Turn on the audio system........if the voltage drops down to around 12V, that's the problem with the head lights.

Can heavier gauge wiring, or additional ground wires fix anything? Maybe. But you have to realize your alternator has a limit to the current it can supply. Exceed that limit and you'll continue having voltage issues. I've worked on some stupid setups that drew so much current, the engine would die. The solution was a new (expensive) more powerful alternator.

·
Registered
107 Posts
^^ lol good to new.> i just got one off of here.. Does even the newer models need the 'big 3' upgrade.. I am to assume no vehicle comes equipped as such? After getting a new amp today aswell I am noticing alot of dimming so gonnna end up doing this aswell

·
Registered
452 Posts
capacitors dont do jack shit.
Well, actually they are good for peak wattage bursts, but only for high power systems. You're partially right however.
^^ lol good to new.> i just got one off of here.. Does even the newer models need the 'big 3' upgrade.. I am to assume no vehicle comes equipped as such? After getting a new amp today aswell I am noticing alot of dimming so gonnna end up doing this aswell
You're getting rid of the 'bottleneck' in your electrical system by performing the big three. It's not an 'option' on vehicles because manufactures design the system for what is on board - aftermarket stuff puts on more strain.
Besides, doesn't it make sense to upgrade the wiring for your electrical SOURCE? Putting on that 1/0 wire to your amp and expecting it to deliver what it needs to won't do much good if your stock wiring is still at 8 AWG, right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts