Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate knowing whether or not the use of BG products, such as their MOA #110 oil additive, is acceptable as far as Ford drivetrain warranty goes. Is there a list of acceptable additives maintained by Ford? Or does BG have any documentation referencing acceptability by Ford?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll throw this in the MkIII section for argument, since it's not a repair question.

I doubt ANY additives are "approved", Motor Oil meeting the specs. posted in the manual is the requirement.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Ford only products for Fords, no additives.

They may well work but Ford dealer will grasp at the use of them to void any warranty if they feel the need and common.

·
Registered
101 Posts
it's actually HIGHLY illegal for them to REQUIRE you use Ford brand anything, since oil and additives are regulated, as long as it's the same spec as what ford reccomends, then you're more than welcome to use it. Now remember, BG products only have warranty if installed by a BG service station, including MOA, CF-5, 44k, etc. So if there IS an issue, which i'm sure there wouldnt be, A)Ford can not decline the warranty repair if they you're using everything to spec, and B)in the event they do decline it, BG will only fix the car if a BG service station installs it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used to work in a Ford shop that was BG Product Certified, I can say that they products they sold are of very good quality and actually worked pretty well. I was most familiar with the induction cleaning, which if done right can knock built-up carbon off the tops of valves and in some cases get rid of engine ticking. We also used a full coolant swap and transmission fluid swap unit from BG that included cleaners that would be added to clean crud out of the systems, usually this meant the customer would come in, we'd add the cleaners, they would drive it for a week and then come back and we'd change out the fluid.

Just my .02

·
Registered
220 Posts
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil is all you really need.......

At one point years ago I was charged for some oil additive that was supposedly put in my car by the dealership during a regular "Works" oil change. I challenged this and they removed the charge for the additive from my bill.

I have yet to see an owners manual that specifies any flushes or "induction cleaning".

Many miles, no problems.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Manuals will give a Ford product for each purpose, and a spec. that alternative products need to meet. Same for any other brand.

Anything that would look odd in an analysis done after a failure could potentially be a problem IF it gets investigated that thoroughly.

"Extra" additive packages are NOT of any value when normal oil changes are done as recommended.

Imagine that you change your TP roll at home on a schedule, and it never runs out. There's even a warning light for low paper, time to change.

Now put a commercial oversize dispenser in it's place, and don't change the replacement schedule. Any advantage to the 3/4 roll you're now throwing away?

To take it to the extreme, say you go to the Doc. to complain about a sore Butt. Doc says, "don't see any obvious cause, but it's sure irritated. Doing anything different?". Mention the TP roll & he'd say "shucks, you're prob. using it too much with such a large supply avail.". Might have nothing to do with the large roll of TP, but it puts a question out there on a possible cause for the problem.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
bump an old thread. does anyone have a opinion on running some of the induction cleaner through these engines? i know that no one has had any real complaints with carbon issues but to help prevent carbon from building up, would it be a good idea to run some of this through the induction system? just as preventive maintance.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Some of you may know that I have been a service advisor as well as being a salesguy.

I will just tell you my thoughts on this.

I went to some manufacturer training in Chicago, a week long service advisor training. The subject of BG and Wynn flush type products was talked about extensively. Manufacturers do not even want dealerships selling it, let alone recommending it. In simplest terms it was put to me like this; Manufacturers spend millions and millions on R&D, if they thought that using these flushes and additives helped prolong the life, or service the vehicle in a positive manner, then they would not only recommend them, but would provide manufacturer branded products for the job. They see them as a customer service nightmare because they are so often regarded as scams.

If you want to clean carbon buildup, seafoam the car and change the oil. 25 bucks total~

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am a firm believer in the BG products. I do all of my preventative maintenance and when I bought my SVT and after using MOA every oil change, It seems my oil is staying cleaner longer as opposed to being black in 1000miles. Also a can of 44k in the tank around the same time I do the oil change.
Or....Maybe it just me because I have been using the product for so long because a good friend is a peddler of BG product

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Regular oil changes with ANY acceptable oil will keep an engine cleaner, so fresh oil doesn't get dirty as fast.

Remember that you WANT the oil to get dirty, that's the point of the "detergents" in the oil - to help suspend any crud/carbon in the oil instead of letting it be deposited internally so it is removed with every oil change.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Some of you may know that I have been a service advisor as well as being a salesguy.

I will just tell you my thoughts on this.

I went to some manufacturer training in Chicago, a week long service advisor training. The subject of BG and Wynn flush type products was talked about extensively. Manufacturers do not even want dealerships selling it, let alone recommending it. In simplest terms it was put to me like this; Manufacturers spend millions and millions on R&D, if they thought that using these flushes and additives helped prolong the life, or service the vehicle in a positive manner, then they would not only recommend them, but would provide manufacturer branded products for the job. They see them as a customer service nightmare because they are so often regarded as scams.

If you want to clean carbon buildup, seafoam the car and change the oil. 25 bucks total~
when you say seafoam your car, do you mean run the seafoam through the intake system?

·
Registered
473 Posts
when you say seafoam your car, do you mean run the seafoam through the intake system?
You run it trough both the oil and the vacuum system. Can do the gas if you want, There are tutorials all over on how to do it.

When they try to sell you a 'fuel induction' cleaning that's all they are doing is putting a 4 dollar bottle of seafoam or competing product through the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts