Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now im using full sythetic 5w-20 should i use s thicker weight since i drive the car harder and has performance upgrades 5w 20 even though recomended just sounds weak to me.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I use 5W30 for the same reasons. I asked one of the older Master Techs at my dealership
about this. He said that the 5W20 was to squeeze another tenth or two mpg out of the vehicle for CAFE. He also smiled and said that, over his 43 years of mechanic work and
probably hundreds of rebuilds and teardowns, he's never seen and engine fail because it had 30W oil in it.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I would say you would be just fine w/ 5w30, most peopole on here will run that. some even run 5w 40.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I run 5w30 in mine as well. Since that is the spec for the motors in Europe and the just thinned to 5w20 for Cafe standards in the US I prefer the 5w30. No issues in 126 k.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Sounds like you all support or at lease dont condem going to 5w-30. But what about with an 08 that is under warrenty? will it void it? Flipwilly you say you run it and you have an 08 how does it run? Well?

Edit: Just noticed this post was in the zetec. Although flipwilly, has an 08 with a duratec. So still courious, but understand if no answers.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Yes it will void your warrenty.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes it will void your warrenty.
Actually that is NOT true. The simple answer is NO! This is a common misconception by most vehicle owners, in fact the installation of aftermarket parts will not void the factory warranty. You are protected under the Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. The purpotrators are often new car dealerships not wanting to service your vehicle based on the fact that you have installed aftermarket equipment. This is fraudulent activity and must be brought to some official's attention to be remedied.

Under the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, aftermarket equipment which improves the performance of the vehicle does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless that warranty clearly states that the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty or can somehow be proven that the aftermarket device was the direct cause of the failure. Please look in your vehicle owner’s manual under, "what is not covered" to see what is not covered by this protection.

I've got a few options for you guys to consider. If you switch to synthetic oils you'll be ahead of the game. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184434

The 0w20, will get better mpg, free up more power, it allows for easier/better cold starts. If you are worried, there is a nice 5w20 race oil. :)
For those interested in 30 oil, the Signature Series Oil is the ticket!

Some options to consider:
1) AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil $7.20/qt (also available in cases and gallons and larger)
2) AMSOIL Dominator 5W-20 Racing Oil $8.55/qt (also available in cases and gallons and larger)
3) Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil $8.50/qt (also available in cases and gallons and larger)

There are also a couple filter selections to go along with these oils. Let me know if you need any assistance. The main distinction to make here is that by switching to a 100% synthetic oil by AMSOIL, you'll be able to have longer intervals between changes which will save you money on your annual maintenance.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
You probably don't have enough "perfrmance upgrades" to warrant going to a different weight so just stick with what's recommended....5w-20. I don't see any reason to switch weights.....I've been using 5w-20 for about 5 years now...no issues and I've had a supercharger on my car...

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
I run 5w30 in mine as well. Since that is the spec for the motors in Europe and the just thinned to 5w20 for Cafe standards in the US I prefer the 5w30. No issues in 126 k.
just use 5w30. ive got 165,000 miles on my zetec and its still runnin strong(well considering i need piston rings very soon lol)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well a thinner oil flows better, better flow can equal better heat dissipation, so ...

People seem to have this weird notion that thicker oil equals better protection, which is wrong. A thicker oil just puts more stress on the oil pump from it's resistance to flow (which is the definition of pressure, and many forget that).
The thicker oil just takes longer to heat because of it's lack of ability to flow. But with that it also takes longer to cool.

My vote goes for 5W-20 or 0W-20. There is no reason what so ever for thicker oil.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Well a thinner oil flows better, better flow can equal better heat dissipation, so ...

People seem to have this weird notion that thicker oil equals better protection, which is wrong. A thicker oil just puts more stress on the oil pump from it's resistance to flow (which is the definition of pressure, and many forget that).
The thicker oil just takes longer to heat because of it's lack of ability to flow. But with that it also takes longer to cool.

My vote goes for 5W-20 or 0W-20. There is no reason what so ever for thicker oil.

^^^ Sorry, don't mean to fight, but that statement is 100% wrong...

Okay, 80%...the stress on the oil pump is correct under cold starts, but other than that it is bad information...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i run 5w-30 brad penn brand oil, brad penn isnt sold commercially so the detergents do not have to be taken out. leaves a cleaner engine afterwards

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
5w-30 s been in mine for 3 years, i like the added protection when autocrossing, and it's full synthetic

·
Registered
16 Posts
5w-30 is not any thicker, considering 5 is the cold thickness and that number does not change. 20 and 30 are the rate at which the oil thins, a 5w-20 thins faster than a 5w-30 in winter, that is the only difference. Oil is ALWAYS its thickest when cold.

·
Registered
351 Posts
5W30 will not void your warranty. My dealer will install it instead of 5W20 if you ask. Thicker oil provides more of a "cushion" in engine clearances i.e., between bearings and crank/rods. The '08 runs very well on the 5W30 full syn. (Pennzoil Platinum).

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^^^ Sorry, don't mean to fight, but that statement is 100% wrong...

Okay, 80%...the stress on the oil pump is correct under cold starts, but other than that it is bad information...

I may have worded it a bit wrong, but it is not wrong. Read up on Thermohydrodynamics. Basically the shear strength of any oil is governed by the temperature of the film and after a certain point all oils loose their shear strength and break down and it's the rate at which they heat past that point that is more important than the basic starting weight of the oil.
Then there is the argument that with a thicker film it may put reduce the clearance on one side vs the other, I haven't seen mention of that much, do see it being possible though.

I'm not good at explaining this by any means. If you want you can read through these two books to pick up more:

http://books.google.com/books?id=vS...+in+Mechanical+Design&ei=qnB2SfPZA6WsNYL0_McE

http://books.google.com/books?id=NP...Engineering+Tribology&ei=xnB2SYe7BqTCMbXglcQE

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ok now I'm confused....... I run 10w-30 in which I live in a cold climate during winter and hot climate during summer....... that's all good, right?

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I would stick with a 5 weight Mike. In 162k, my car has always used 5w-20, so that's what I use. No problems now, so why invite them?

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Yes, I would stick with 5w as well in our "modern" engine.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
ok ok so let me get this strait because between viney and iminhell im kinda confused. the purpose of motor oil is to basically lubricate the metal parts and keep them from grinding themselves into dust. thinner oil like 0w20 flows better and protects just as well as long as you get a GOOD brand of synthetic. but viney seems to believe that you are sacrificing protection for performance. i personally would like to get as much power out of my little car as i can but im not going to do it if it will lead to me tearing up the engine. you guys get your facts strait and get back to us and until then ab0ybrush3dr3d you need to stick to using factory recommended 5w20. if there is even a possibility that using anything else could lead to problems then i wouldnt even think of it.

EDIT: im going to try and find some actual reputable information from independent studies and put it up here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts