Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... I'm getting crappy mileage around 25MPG...I drive it 50 miles a day.

I have done the following;

I changed the PCV Valve and all the vaccum hoses I could find.
I cleaned the MAF, and changed the Air cleaner to a K&N,
I tried, (and Failed) to get the IAC off...just couldn't reach it with my fat hands and ramps / jack stands...
I changed a few radiator hoses and the T-stat & Housing...
I put in new Plugs and Wires
I replaced the broken crappy Sway bar Links
I did the Fan Mod...
I did all the maintenance and am still getting 25MPG...

What the heck can I do to get better than 25 on this thing? I only have about $200 to do it with...LOL I know, but It's a start...

Anything would be helpful...I KNOW it can get better mileage...

Also what GAP are the plugs supposed to be at for stock coil pack and Autozone wires & should i be using copper or platinum??

The more MPG the better for me...Performance is meh...

Any ideas are welcome!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 2001 wagon with automatic, and I've never gotten more than 26 mpg. I have a 2001 ZTS auto and it gets 28, max. You seem to be within the correct mpg range for a wagon.

Bill

·
Registered
374 Posts
$60 = Ultragauge...maybe at 15% gain

$0 = up tire pressures...maybe a 6-7% gain

$140 = injector cleaner.....and who knows.....?

Do a SERIOUS SEARCH on this site for "mpg" or "mileage"...you will see some good info as far as what others have done and other leads....

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, injector cleaner isn't that much. maybe 15 bucks.

20 bucks - fuel filter

check the cat to see if its starting to get a little clogged or run an orp to avoid it all together. lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I also thought this after I posted...I fill up at a commercial place because I can get fuel a bit cheaper, but maybe I am getting a lower grade fuel since it sits for a LONG time in the tank before I come along and buy it...Maybe I'll try a different place, and I do an injector clean...

And Thanks for the suggestions...I didn't even think about the fuel filter...duh

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i know my mp went up a little when i put a svt intake on mine. but to befair at teh same time i put a k&n filter and changed the fuel filter. but if you can find one used its a pretty cheap mod.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I fill up at a commercial place because I can get fuel a bit cheaper, but maybe I am getting a lower grade fuel
I always recommend that people try every fuel on their regular route to work for at least 2 tanks, and keep track of mileage with the trip odometer/gal in fill-up method. I'd even recommend trying different fuel grades, but compare $/mi instead of mpg. Every vehicle is different, so recommending X fuel doesn't apply. You might find that your commercial premium fuel offers the best $/mi.

Always check gap on your spark plugs. There are some plugs out there which are pre-gapped, but if you have a single backstrap plug- check it. Multiple backstrap plugs are a waste of money except in situations where the plug is difficult to change. Electricity always follows the path of least resistance, so only in marketing pictures will you see multiple sparks. You will give the spark other choices in the event of fouling, but both plat and irid plugs are non-fouling. Rock Auto has ridiculously low prices on plugs you can get double platinum or iridium plugs for the cost of standard platinum plugs at a store.

Clean that MAF. It gets dirty. Use spray MAF cleaner or spray electrical parts cleaner without contact lube. Those are the same. If you have a cotton gauze/oil lifetime air filter, you should clean the MAF regularly. Free flowing air filters do provide a slight mpg improvement.

O2 sensors go bad over time, and don't always cause a CEL. Over the life of the sensor it will start to lose it's ability to create voltage from free oxygen in the exhaust. Less voltage = lean to the computer, making the engine run rich. I figure about 100k miles for these sensors.

Fuel filter maintenance is 25k miles or 1 year for cars that don't get 25k per year.

Driving habits: just drive comfortably. I've noticed that I don't get better fuel economy when I drive like a little old man in a pickup truck. Conventional wisdom says I should, but it's just not happening. When I travelled to FF11, I got horrible fuel economy following my friends on the way up there who were maintaining legal speeds. On the way back, I got normal fuel economy. I don't know why my car gets worse fuel economy at 55 mph than at 70, but it does. Make your own observations, but don't assume that just because you're backing up traffic for miles means your getting your best MPG.

·
Registered
9 Posts
im getting 31mpg highway and 28mpg hwy/cty. plus im having the common ATX trans problems and also have a weird idle due to vacuum leak or dpfe, so you should be up more on mpg unless you do a lot of city driving

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All my driving is on the Freeway...I'm thinking that my plug gap must be off (what are they supposed to be gapped?) and I'm also having the funky idle thing...i bought 6N664 hose from Ford and am installing it tomorrow so hopefully that helps some. I noticed this last tank that I got 28MPG, and only modified one thing...at stops I pop the trans into N...The idle problem only happens when it's in D which is puzzling at best. I'll replace the Fuel Filter soon...I had the shifting problem with my ATX, but replced Solenoid A and it was solved.

i do think alot of the MPG problem was the grade of fuel buying, so i'm using Mobile Regular for the next tank and then I go to Shell and see what i get...i also noticed that MPG went down when i drove 55, so there you go...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts