Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just thought i would post this to see if anyone had some epiphanies or tricks to increase fuel mileage!
I drive a 2012 SE 5spd with a CAI, synthetic oil, 195 snow tires (skinny), large sub box and the unfortunate removal of my radiator shutter system :(
So off the bat i know i'm going to suffer at highway speeds due to the shutter system being gone but i feel that i should be getting better fuel efficiency.

Strict highway (flat lol) - 6.5L/100k
Mix highway and city - 7.8L/100k
City (winter) - 8.2L/100k
Even babying the throttle and careful shifting dont seem to affect these numbers.

I have a hard time believing that I can only achieve 510km per tank in the city even if i'm reserved, I used to have a 91 Tercel that would easily challenge this....

·
Registered
952 Posts
You're pretty close to as good as it gets.

Driving straight highway from Quebec (Lac Louise) area down to Toronto I pulled something like 650-700km out of a tank. Cruise on at 102km/h for about 6 hours-ish, steady temperature all the way. That trip sold me on this car haha.

My best recorded value is 5.9L/100k.

My best recorded distance on a tank is 599km but mostly highway on that one too.

Over the last 18 fill-ups (~8-9 months) I've averaged 7.7. My last tank I got 6.78 but that was once again steady state with maybe 1/4 being around town.

Around town I probably average 7.4-7.5 which is actually what my onboard computer states right now. I consistently drive very conservatively but give it a couple good "get loud" pushes a week.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey SR71, I'm running on 195 winter tires too and your numbers seem in line with mine, almost identical actually. I'm assuming your highway numbers are a result of going 120-130kmh? On several occasions I've tested going 100kmh for long stretches and always get mid 5s per 100km but who has time for that everyday lol. 500km in the city is about what I do too.

My main beef with the focus is the small gas tank and that there isn't a 6th gear to drop the highway rpms.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey this is interesting. Here in Australia i've had some great economy runs considering the mods I have. My Focus is a 2.0lt Duratec, 18" wheels, 2.5" exhaust cat back split to twin outlets, race suspension, K&N oiled air filter, snorkel removed and I have also and injected tune.
Now Adelaide to Melbourne is 726 km's. Our speed limit is 110km in Adelaide South Australia and 100km in Melbourne Victoria. I have done this trip with one tank and the total I got out of that tank was 820km. Fuel was 98 Octane. Im not complaining with that at all.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hey this is interesting. Here in Australia i've had some great economy runs considering the mods I have. My Focus is a 2.0lt Duratec, 18" wheels, 2.5" exhaust cat back split to twin outlets, race suspension, K&N oiled air filter, snorkel removed and I have also and injected tune.
Now Adelaide to Melbourne is 726 km's. Our speed limit is 110km in Adelaide South Australia and 100km in Melbourne Victoria. I have done this trip with one tank and the total I got out of that tank was 820km. Fuel was 98 Octane. Im not complaining with that at all.
[ohcrap] There is hope.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Try beating your fuel efficiency stats in the summer...

Winter gas blend sucks...and it's a fact!

Also many powertrain losses during the winter:

• Air density (cold air car has to work more to move)
  • Friction (bearings, joints , oil viscosity)
  • Rolling resistance (Tire in snow...)
  • Gas blend --> Winter gas is less pure (need starting agents to help vaporize the fuel during very cold days)

You will get abysmal MPG in cold days compared to summer... guarantee!!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
These kn/l are exhausting lol.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The sad fact Americans cannot do math. Nor understand the Metric system. LOL

Translating liters per kilometer to miles per gallon ??
1 liter equals 0.264172 US gallons
1 kilometer equals 0.621371 US mile

so 6.5 liter/100 kilo is 1.717 gallons in 62.137 miles
Or.... 36.18 miles per gallon.
Tattaaaaa.
Hell that is decent mpg in Winter.

"Going 120 to 130 kph" is going in mph... 74.5 mph to 80.1 mph

The best fuel efficiency is around 50mph
or mile times 1.60934 so 50mph in kilometers is 80.5 kph
Say 80 to 81 kph..

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

Tattaaaaa.

Say 80 to 81 kph..
I know how to do the math lol. Its just that being in the US sucks because of the fact everyone else is on the metric system. So, when your used to miles and gallons, you have to figure out liters per kilo because we dont use it every day. And I wish we did use the metric system because it's 10 times easier hahah.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm sure you didn't do all that math in your head is my point lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I cheat when doing rough conversions.

100 klicks is "about" 62 miles, and a liter is .946 qts. so round to 4/gal. - not accurate but it helps ballpark things when exact numbers aren't needed.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sounds good to me.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

Tattaaaaa.

Say 80 to 81 kph..

Its good numbers for winter but my point was that you cannot compare summer stats vs winter ones!!!

Apple & Oranges...

It's like do a dyno pull at -40F/C and compare to a 90F/40C summer dyno pull...

AFR will be different also HP and torques value (air denser in winter)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I attached my excel file I use to log my gas tank.

Best I did was from Niagara Falls to Montreal by Toronto with 5.8l/100km in March 2014 (-8°C outside).

I also did 5.4l from Montreal to Quebec City in summer.

Two passagers and about 50lbs of stock in the trunk each time.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2r7y8gm.jpg

Attachments

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I attached my excel file I use to log my gas tank.

Best I did was from Niagara Falls to Montreal by Toronto with 5.8l/100km in March 2014 (-8°C outside).

I also did 5.4l from Montreal to Quebec City in summer.

Two passagers and about 50lbs of stock in the trunk each time.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2r7y8gm.jpg
Unless it's for work... never seen someone care (notes everything in an excel table) that much about MPG/--L/100KM more than you [:p] or maybe the ecomodder forum...

DCT or 5spd ?

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Best I've gotten on extended city is around 30mpg. Best on the highway is 41mpg on a 2-1/2 trip going mostly 55-65mph.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I get 50mpg going to work and about 22mpg coming home.
average is about 36mpg

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Autos get More miles per gallon. Sticks get more smiles per gallon. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts