Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 767 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I have thought about doing this for a while now to track everything I have done to my car. Mostly visual mods but want to get more into it. HERE WE GO!

So I bought my car back in February of 2012. This is my first car so its pretty special. She (Betsy) is a 2002 Focus Se and had 24,000 miles on when I bought her. It was a grocery getter and never went above 55 mph. But it does now. Its up to 64,000 miles now. love the car.

Not sure as to what I want to do with it. I guess more of what zx3_bmxrider did and do more mpg mods. But it has to stay within a cheap college budget. Thinking an intake of some sort.

Current

Shorty antennae
2 inch drop
30% and 5% tint
plastidip
Nightshade
infiniti speakers
aftermarket HU
LED lights
Fog lights
Im sure there is more when I get to them.

This is what it looked like when I first got it.

I don't have a picture of when I first had it but this is as close as I can get. Muck everywhere, never been waxed and parked outside. There was nothing wrong with it other than a missing mirror on the PS. Luckily those are cheap.

Nothing happened for about a year. Just drove it, changed the oil, and filled it up every week. College started and there went all the money. Then I found this site. Anything i needed to know was available on here and I get on everyday.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next big thing was the window tint. Mom didn't want me to get it, saying it was useless. But I pleaded my case and got it. Legal for Indiana so ~30% all around except windshield.

Yes...those are fuzzy dice on the mirror. They didn't last long and they were "adopted" by my dad in his 97 civic.

A couple weeks ago I finally got the windshield done for 15 dollars. Plus I got to see how it was done so I can do my dads car now.

This is 5% and it takes out the glare of the sun and lights on the highway, Its so great! Cant say enough about it.

Here is how it looks.

Nothing happening couldn't last for long...

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish the tint was darker though, will do to the next focus I get. Thinking 20%, thats a long way from now.

Driving home on the highway during construction and my mirror made a disappearing act. Merging onto the highway an SUV wouldn't get over so it was either hit the car or the cones. I chose the cones and no insurance. I was so ticked it wasn't funny. Thought about turning around to get my mirror but figured it was smashed to pieces. It hurt my car...

Dent is still there. New mirror is only 20 dollars. Had to buy 2 mirrors for the same side now.

Doing my best to go in order. Never have done one of these before.

Plastidip craze and a newfound interest in nightshade came next.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to say I love plastidip and nightshade. yeah I know some people will diss them both but they work for me and that is what I use.

So where to start. Hopefully you all like the pictures. Nothing interesting so far.

Plastidipped the focus and se on the back as well as covering up both ford emblems and added stripes onto the hood. Tried nightshade for the first time and it turned out alright. First time taking the tail lights out as well.

Anything to make it different from everyone else's. To this day all that is still on there.

The focus on the 3rd brake light is gone and I have debadged it. Looks so much cleaner.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking to get a vinyl sticker or something that says focus for the brake light but can't find anything. TFBdesigns doesn't have anything for the MK1 sedan on their website. Ideas?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So the coil spring broke on my car coming back from my girlfriends house. We all know what this means!!!

Getting the Lows.

Bought KYB shocks and Struts with M2 lowering springs. IT was the same setup that Br0cus had for a while before he went to coil overs. Not to much to complain about it. They kinda make noise when it rains when I turn and bumps are harsher but the turning it better and better gas milage actually too.

BEFORE

AFTER

Comes out to about a 2 inch drop.

Have to get the Rally car look going so I can change my oil now. Cant drive it up on ramps[wrenchin]

And I just realized this post wasn't in order but I'm not redoing it. Next is the pain in the butt foglight installation as my car didn't have it or have them prewired.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible to put a new gauge face (i guess its called) that has a tachometer on it on my car? Right now it doesnt have one, Just wondering if there is a wire dangling that I would be able to hook up or whatever it takes?

I now the milage wouldn't be the same but I can fix that.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Nice looking build. My buddy has a pretty sweet spi. I noticed you live in Indiana, how far are you from Louisville?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much appreciated. Still have some work to do to get it all on here. Mmm i would say about 2 and half to 3 hours. depending on traffic and such. Only been down there once.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Window LEAK

More problems are still coming up that I can't fix but have an idea how to. I believe the window cowl on the windshield leaks and I think a lot of people have had this problem. How did you all fix it, buy a new cowl? Some say buy a filter for it, how will that help and where could I buy one?

Another idea I have is that I could just take some clear silicone and bead it down in there and then put a brick or something on it overnight.

Any hard rain causes it to leak. The windshield wipers stop most of it from coming in i am thinking.

There is a gap here where I am assuming the water is running into instead of over. I don't want the water to soak into the floor and mold or possibly rust anything. IF that is possible.

I have smelled the water and it isn't the AC leaking or whatever, it isn't oily and dries just like water does. Only shows up when it rains.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks awesome, I always have and will love the MK1 Foci, my first car was an SPI too, treat her good, and you will get great running out of it. I might advise getting the valve seats machined at an engine shop. They like to drop the number 4 exhaust valve after a little while. Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks awesome, I always have and will love the MK1 Foci, my first car was an SPI too, treat her good, and you will get great running out of it. I might advise getting the valve seats machined at an engine shop. They like to drop the number 4 exhaust valve after a little while. Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work!
Thanks man! Oh yeah I get a solid 32 mpg each week when i fill up. Did you sell yours before it dropped or are you speaking from experience? They say other than the valve seats it is a bulletproof engine that will last.

I have read my fair share of threads of the seats dropping. Still on the bubble whether I should or not.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking to get either a Volant Pro 5 Enclosed Intake System, AEM 22-450R Red Short Ram Intake System, K&N 69 Series Typhoon Intake Systems. Advice??

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sooo waiting for some replies...in the meantime.

Installed Fog lights.

Actually found a factory set of them when i had a thread about it a little ways back...on EBAY. It had factory serial numbers and everything, was a little nervous about it. The process took all weekend to do, long days of doing something and then it not working.

Inside was a mess, tools everywhere, wire stripped, snack wrappers, and frustration. Couldn't figure it out till a fellow fanatic helped me out with a diagram.

Don't know what I did wrong on it but somehow on accident i made a "mod" so i can have my fogs and brights on at the same time. I was pretty thrilled about that. If i get new headlights i may make the fogs the turn signals if I figure out how.

The plastidip was off the front for a while, back on now.

Interior Up Next.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
What did you dip on the front? And as far as intakes I've always been a fan of the K&N systems.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dipped the Ford emblem on the front. That picture was from a different grill. Found one at a pick and pull yard for 10 bucks and had all the tabs intact. Had to get it lol

Everything I have found has been around 200 dollars. Don't know what would work the best.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The interior is where most of the excitement has been going on. More visual mods than performance.

First we will start with my red LED dome light to match the car. So much brighter and I love the way it lights everything up.

To keep the red lights going I installed some footwell LED's, Two on each side. Get turned on and off from a toggle switch by the cupholders.

I will need to put them back up again as somehow they keep falling down after they are tucked away all nice like.

Toggle switch

And then I added an add-a-fuse which also works great.

My HU is a pioneer radio, which i want to upgrade to a double din touchscreen. Please ignore the dirty car, back into college mode and having clothes and shoes with me at all times.

Here is my center console, wanted to do something to change it. Might go to a pick and pull yard to get a console that doesn't have the arm rest, it squeaks and gets in the way. Doesn't hold that much either. Don't hate me cause I used nightshade on it. It look nice and textured still.[woot]

I did the door handles and whatever that is called on the bottom of the door to hold things, the name escapes me. This is in black plastidip for now till it wears off.

Also interior is the WEATHERTECH floor mats. Best thing ever!!! Keeps the water and dirt in and doesn't mash it into the carpet. Easy to clean to. Awesome Christmas gift.[pray]

Cant see it real good on here but I purchased some Nokya yellow fog bulbs, I will say they do work good as well. LED lights in the taillights and 3rd brake light.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ugh, I keep forgetting to add things!

Found this in my air box under the hood awhile back. It could affect performance.

Then replaced the filter all together.

But my favorite thing or at least top 5 was cleaning my headlights.

Here it is debadged.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Pull-a-part is definitely a great place. I wish they would get a wrecked mk3 in there, though I'm very doubtful that would ever happen. I need to start checking Craigslist more. My buddy does have a mk1 zX4 though that we frequently scavenger hunt for through salvage lots. Its always a blast. As, for the intakes I would youtube as many as possible and keep and eye out for a used one for $100 or less. The Facebook pages can have some gems on them every once and a while.

1 - 20 of 767 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.