Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace all of the following...

1) Sway bar end-links
2) ABS wheel sensor
3) Valve cover gasket
4) Cd-changer
5) Thermosat gasket (I think)

Long list for 60k miles.

I am looking for these parts, anyone know good place to find em? Ford dealer is big $$$. I checked Autozone, and they need to order everything. Carquest had end-links in stock for $13.

I need to find the ABS wheel sensor, valve cover gasket, cd-changer (used?), and thermosat housing/gasket. Anyone know good retail store with these? Desperate to find parts soon.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Oh yes I can, my car has been hit 3 times, twice for over 4,000 dollars ( all of them were other drivers fault ).. Once, it was parked at a car show.!!!

Just go to your favorite auto store and order the bits and wait a few days.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If you have them O'Rielleys tend to have oddball parts sometimes. Their prices are much better than AZ or Advance too. At least here in the corporate home of Autozone, their prices are better.

Hang it up on the CD changer, it's time to either try to repair what you have if it's a mechanical issue and you're good with tinkering, or looking into an aftermarket unit. It will cost less to replace the factory unit with a new MP3 disc player than to go back to factory. I'd hit the guys in the Car Audio and Electronics section up for their advice about radio install kits and other options.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no thermostat gasket. You have to get the whole housing. It's a cheap part and an easy fix as long as you have a torx set and I guess small hands since some people seem to get bashed up doing it.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Damn.. that sucks

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
^^There has to be a gasket or an o ring where the housing mounts against the head. I think that's what 007 is talking about. But I seem to recall a lot of people having to replace their housing because it cracked or warped, I don't remember why. In any case, I'm sure you'd have to get that from ford- I doubt it's all that expensive.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Between 55k and 65k, my focus needed the following done

1)transmission rebuild (syncros failure)
2) valve cover gasket gave out
3) clutch gave out
4)ignition lock failed (at 59k)
5)tie rod ends
6) steering rack failure
7) door interior mechanicals (lock, latch, cables, etc)

Now, at 72k, it needs a new oxygen sensor. My focus was obviously built ford tough. (bear in mind that this car sees an oil change every 3k, and every scheduled service with moderately spirited driving)

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
(moderately spirited driving)

And what would this consist of? [:D]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
At 60,000 my internal gear select linkage let go, resulting in a $850 repair bill at a dealership because I was 200 miles from home, staying in a hotel for work and couldn't do it myself or take it to a private transmission shop and wait a week for parts. After that, the harness that supplies power and timing information to the coil broke while I was still away from home and I had to leave the car in a parking lot and went back a week later after repairing the pigtail to retrieve it. Shortly thereafter (and I'm still convinced its not a coincidence and the dealer did something while they were in there) my clutch wore out, although at least this time I was able to do it myself with the assistance of my friend who works as a diesel mechanic...buy I still ended up paying nearly $400 when that fiasco ended. Take it in stride...at least everything you have to fix is relatively cheap and you should be able to do it yourself.

BTW...depending on what's wrong with your valve cover gasket, you might be able to fix the leak with a tube of black RTV. I had a leak, and I just removed the gasket, cleaned it and the surface on the head and the valve cover and then ran a thin bead of RTV around the surface on the head (taking care to not slop any into the head) and the valve cover. Hasn't leaked a bit since and it cost me a grand total of $8 and about an hour and a half of work.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Brakes (after they crapped out on me...twice)
Front crakshaft seal
valve cover seal
exhaust manifold
exhaust manifold gasket & SS nuts
two clutch switches
re-welded the egr pipe
oil pan gasket
timing belt
spark plugs and wires (was in dire need...twice)
fuel filter

all within 70k

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would give NAPA a shot at those parts. They always seem to have parts in stock. There are also a lot of NAPA warehouses that hold everything in many areas.

Mike

·
Registered
420 Posts
Rudel said:
(moderately spirited driving)

And what would this consist of? [:D]
HAHA...you quoted me lmao

that's awesome!

anyways,

I've fixed the following
Blown tranny