Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hydrolocked my engine with my cai, i knwo its hard blah blah, but it happens. cai no more for me...too paranoid now. i'm gonna have to buy the steeda sri. i live in texas and its getting to summer....you know.....110+ degrees weather . so basically i have to find ways to keep my intake as cool as i can. can anyone help me? ...some way to make a duct that flows air from the bottom of my car to the intake, and what i can wrap the intake with ....i know people that use aluminum foil but i dont know if that would help transfer the heat or what...duct tape..anything?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've seen "header wrapping" before somwhere here or FJ. I think it had mixed reviews (mostly bad but some good) but it might be worth checking out. I've beent hinking about some sort of wrapping to since my F2 is straight-metal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
get the k&n typhoon cai its plastic,plastic is better than the metal intakes for heat transfer.
maybe thats why the k&n makes more horsies!

·
Registered
139 Posts
P0WeRbyDuratec said:
k&n is not any better then any other cai.
but they claim the most hp,more than any other intake for the duratec,do a search
on here someone has a chart i believe,and if plastic wasnt better why are so many damn egine parts made of it,yes we all no cost is one major factor.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
ZXRR said:
but they claim the most hp,more than any other intake for the duratec,do a search
on here someone has a chart i believe,and if plastic wasnt better why are so many damn egine parts made of it,yes we all no cost is one major factor.
Then those Type-R Fart cans and Tornadoes on ebay must be better than an intake, they claim like 15-20 horspeower!

·
Registered
613 Posts
woohoo....time to get me a FOCUS TYPE-R badge
mad power yo-jk
steeda sri over priced imo
but whatever floats your' goat

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
ZXRR said:
a chart, of what, who was it done by, when, air temp? How much more does k&n claim, 1, 2 hp. Marginal gains that could be attributed to elevation, temperature, type of dyno etc. To me, that doesn't justify an extra 150 bucks for an intake.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
P0WeRbyDuratec said:
a chart, of what, who was it done by, when, air temp? How much more does k&n claim, 1, 2 hp. Marginal gains that could be attributed to elevation, temperature, type of dyno etc. To me, that doesn't justify an extra 150 bucks for an intake.
In the end, and w/o testing, nobody really knows. It might be better than your Marcy intake, or it might not.

But take into account this statment by K&N. It makes sense:

These intakes use only non-metallic rotationally molded tubes that can reduce intake air temperature ... over a metal tube.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I doubt heat wrapping will do anything on a SRI. You will still be sucking in warm air.

·
Registered
111 Posts
not really sure about heat wrapping, but personally I have experienced hydrolock first hand, and second hand if u count the second car (hehe bad luck). I have the Steeda short ram like ur talkin about and its great. I really wouldnt worry about heat wrapping, but i would try to duct air into the area. When it warms up a little im going to take a look to see if i can mod my Steeda SRI a little to pull some air maybe from the side of the headlight. Where it sits now its tucked into a tight area, the only way to get air to it would be some fender drilling (Maybe) its been a while since i installed mine. I havent heard a "great" review over a K&N intake, and i know the Steeda is over priced. But if you dont feel like having your insurance company buy you a new engine everytime it floods, the Steeda is a great deal. And i know everytime i give the Steeda SRI any hype, i get shot down and told not to "drive my car in lakes", but I tell you what.... [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] happens, and SRI's were invented for a reason. If you have any comments please send them elsewhere.

Happy modding family!

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
actually car and driver ad and sportcompact car did a chart about it and k&n won coming in second was aem

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Funny but for the SVTF K&N post higher gain claims with the all metal Typhoon than the silicone tubed Aircharger.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
IMPORTKILLA35 said:
actually car and driver ad and sportcompact car did a chart about it and k&n won coming in second was aem
did the test compare specialized car shops like focussport and marcy? Sounds like it was an article and chart of generic intakes. Not to mention design changes car from car, and these results could not be the same for every other car.

i could care less if you bought an intake with a greater gain for an intake. Whatever floats your boat, but i can't justify spending extra money because an intake is plastic. IMO the intake never gets hot enough to make any difference anyways or at least that i've noticed. but whatever. i don't know shit about anything

1 - 15 of 15 Posts