Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '03 ZTS headlamp housings on both sides are severely marred and scratched.

What is the best way to restore the finish? Or is it fairly cheap to buy new enclosures (probably not but thought I'd ask).

I've seen headlamp restoration kits at Walmart that appear to hook-up to a standard power drill...

Then I've read here by searching that toothpaste and water works well :). Seriously!?

Thanks!

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
Some have had good experience with the restore kits, search around for some before and afters. It's by far the most cost efficient way of restoring (vs buying new headlights or paying someone to restore them)

Well the tooth paste idea is the same principal. Tooth paste has silica (sand) which is fine and in a paste form will act as a rubbing compound/abrasive. The trick is to start with a rough sand paper and then work your way to a fine polish. The kits just include the different pastes and pads for the drill.

You can always try checking ebay, craigslist, the b/s/t forums here or visiting some local junk yards, any headlights from an '00-04 will fit your car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My '03 ZTS headlamp housings on both sides are severely marred and scratched.

What is the best way to restore the finish? Or is it fairly cheap to buy new enclosures (probably not but thought I'd ask).

I've seen headlamp restoration kits at Walmart that appear to hook-up to a standard power drill...

Then I've read here by searching that toothpaste and water works well :). Seriously!?

Thanks!
Once they turn, it is hard to achieve a long-term fix. If they are not too expensive for your car I would buy new. I restore headlamp lenses as a part time hobby. This is how I do it, not saying it is the correct way.

I wet sand the lens with 600 grit sandpaper, then re-wet sand with 1500 to 2000 grit, With an electric polisher (available at Harbor Freight for $39.95) I use Auto Magic XP compound with the polisher on about 50% speed, Keep it slow so as not to burn the lens. Once done, I re-polish with Auto Magic New Car Glaze to a clear lens. Once they are as clear as I want I clean them very well with water and dry with a soft cloth then coat with a foam tip paintbrush applying a fine layer of Headlight Lens Sealer from Blue Magic and let dry. Do not re-coat. This will typically last one or two years improving the distance illuminated by 40% to 70% dependent upon how cloudy they were.

Be sure to use masking tape on any paint or chrome surfaces around the headlamps so as to not affect these areas.

Deep scratches will not come out but will be greatly minimized by a cleaned lens. About 95% of the time they do not show at all.

I have done over 200 using this method and everyone was pleased.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts