Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is stuck in the snow.. It's about maybe 1-1.5 feet high and I don't have a shovel. Is there some sort of maneuver to do to get the car out? I've never driven/taken my car in snow before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. [unsure]

Pictures of situation can be found in this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112299

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Yes, BUY A shovel. You will always have it, get a big one with a short handle so it can fit in the car. To clear the car, start it and let it run for a while with the heat on full tilt, while you shovel the car out. There is no majic, just hard work and being prepared. It it was 4wd you could just drive right out. You can try to clear the car and drive out.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
if you car is in the same spot in the pics, i'd put it into reverse and give it a little bit of gas. Then if you can't go backwards anymore, put it in drive or 1st and get it a little bit of gas to get back to where you were. Now, just give it a decent amount of gas in reverse bust through where ya were and you should be fine! Once you're moving DON'T STOP!!!

Snow Tires are your FRIEND!!!!! [;)][thumb]

·
Registered
649 Posts
If the snow is 1-1.5' high, get a shovel and rock the car out, like everyone has said. If the car is 1-1.5' high (like hung up on a curb or hard-packed drift) call a tow truck or your buddy with a 4x4 [:D]

edit:
hair dryer? sand? salt?[driving]
Oh yeah... sometimes if you're stuck, you can tuck your floor mats under the front tires and use them for traction. Kinda a nice trick if you're stuck in a pinch with no one to push and no shovel. Scattering sand under the tires is a good idea too. Also don't spin the wheels if you can help it, that just makes the snow glossy and icey, and the tires have little/no traction when they're spinning very fast.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
I've yet to get stuck with my dedicated snow tires. These things kick a$$! It's soooo much more safe to have these things. I mean i lost count of how many retarded people pulled out in front of me and nearly caused me to hit them. I would have too, if it wasn't for my snow tires!!!

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
^^^ Yes, if you have to rock it out a straight line is by far the best option!
No salt? No sand? No shovel? Dang!
If you're lucky enough to have a gravel road nearby, or even some gravelled landscaping, "borrowing" some can also help out.
If you can kick ruts through the snow where the tires will run, if the tires can get traction you can use the bumper for a snowplow for the rest of it...

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
what i do (and i've been called the Unstucker) is i kick about 2 feet of snow out from behind the car's rear tires. then i put it in reverse and ease off the clutch (or brake if it's auto) and go back as far as i can in the tracks i made.

Then got forward IN 2ND GEAR. the reason for going forward in 2nd is to limit how easy it is for the tires to spin. in 1st the ratio makes the tires spin faster. (sometimes on ice i'll even start in 3rd!)

anyway, go forward as far as you can, then keep going backward and forward to level out a "playing field" every now and then turn the wheels a little so your car will move in either direction about 6 inches.

now turning the wheel might not turn the car (duh, it's snow) but it's still ok because the front wheels will act as plows and snowblowers, they literally will spray the snow away from the car!

it works then eventually when you get your car moving good..DON'T STOP! until you get stuck again. lol

it really works, for snow, and mud

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
meh thats not bad at all, a shovbel will be your best bet to get out if your stuck, and momentum is what will help ya everytime, get a small shovel for the fofo if you get stuck, but me, im to good of a driver to get stuck, lol, well cept that 1 time HAHA sucks to live in ny right now, but sucks to live in the u.p from months of october to march

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
So I guess my best move is to rock it out since I have no access to sand or shovels. Should the front tires remain pointed straight?
you live in upstate ny....but dont have a shovel, sand, or salt[scratch]

Yea try moving it, if not maybe let it warm up and hopefully the car will melt the snow around it. Also, get a hammer and chiesal, or a screwdriver, my wheels were frozen this morning and i had to chiesal out the ice inside my wheel wells.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
I've learned that my Timberland boots make a great pickaxe for hardened snow and ice. I think I spent more time kicking my car free from ice than I did shoveling. If you don't mind ruining your boots, or have an old pair handy, try putting all your weight on your heal and give the hardened snow a nice downward kick. Just make sure you don't lose your balance while doing this. It sounds kind of simple and stupid, but it was actually far more effective than both the plastic and metal shovels I had. I only used the shovels to clear out the broken pieces later on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts