Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Too old for this...
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the best ways to add some HP to a stock engine? After looking around I just don't have to money to look into a turbo kit so I was wondering what are some other ways to add some HP?

Thanks

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
start w/ all boltons, header, exhaust, flex, throttle body, and intake, along w/ a ported Intake manifold. this will cost a bit, but after that, you can do cams. you can see anywhere from 110-130 whp just w/ boltons, and anywhere from 140-170 whp w/ cams and headwork.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
But a used turbo kit or supercharger kit or nitrous. If not that then full exhaust, tb, udp, and a tune to tie them together.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
supercharger

search buddy...there are threads on this everywhere.

start with bolt ons.
tune it.
do suspension.
do drivetrain.
drive it, l2drive, love it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
with a nice head package u can get to 170.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
basic bolt ons(intake exhaust etc) with cams and raised compression. throttle bodies do wonders for zetecs

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
with a nice head package u can get to 170.
4-5g to get 160-175 WHP and thats doing the top end of the engine only.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
depends on if you get used or not, you can do it for about 1500 if you find everything used and do the labor yourself.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
CAI or RAI

A good tune

headers and or exhaust
What's a RAI? I've never heard of that before.

And the easiest way to add good HP to stock engine is N2O. Is not the cheapest, not the best, but I think is the best bang for the buck.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
well na is different than fi. For starters NA=Naturaly Aspirated. FI=Forced Induction. With NA air and fuel is taken out on a date and a movie to get into the cyl. FI just see's the victim and waits for the perfect time and then forces itself into the cyl. Wow so those of us that love FI I guess were criminals in the automotive world lol.

A good head package consist of a ported and polished head (ford racing, tom's, focus sport) cams cam gears all bolt-ons.

FI=turbocharger or supercharger.

NA=all other ways to make power without forceing more air & fuelthan the engine can pull in on its own.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12596

First read through that.

Then you have to asses what the car will be used for. Road course and drag will have different areas where improvements should be made.

Then you should consider cost vs return, is 3whp really worth $300 vs 50whp for $700.

But the best money spent is always free, the driver mod.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
well na is different than fi. For starters NA=Naturaly Aspirated. FI=Forced Induction. With NA air and fuel is taken out on a date and a movie to get into the cyl. FI just see's the victim and waits for the perfect time and then forces itself into the cyl. Wow so those of us that love FI I guess were criminals in the automotive world lol.

A good head package consist of a ported and polished head (ford racing, tom's, focus sport) cams cam gears all bolt-ons.

FI=turbocharger or supercharger.

NA=all other ways to make power without forceing more air & fuelthan the engine can pull in on its own.
you forgot good valvesprings and retainers! especially with a high lift cam but otherwise just for durability.
gears can be added for increased acceleration and TB differential for traction. you can spin the wheels with 120 whp, traction is a great way to be fast.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^I hear that. I only have 119hp and 125tq on a mustangdyno (they read lower than other dynos for those that do not know) and I have traction issues. I really need to upgrade my front control arm bushings so I can get rid of the nasty wheel hop I do get when I get traction. Thats how I broke the other tranny in my car was nasty wheel hop got me.

·
Registered
975 Posts
4-5g to get 160-175 WHP and thats doing the top end of the engine only.
iv spent $1300 so far

FR head, FR stg. 3's, FR oil pump, crower valve springs, head gasket and a couple other things... all i have left is to install it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
did you get all those parts new?^ thats a pretty good deal, even if some parts are used!
ive seen a lot of heads that sell for 1500 and thats without cams, tappets, cam seals, and high lift springs(FR head uses production springs, i dont know if they are any better than stock tho)

does anyone know if the "production springs" that come with the FR head are the same as stock or are they a little better?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
im new to the internal of the engine, but what consist of a good head package??

is na the same as fi?

as far as heads go, there isnt a difference between NA and FI except maybe a milled head for increased C/R for NA

dont quote me tho, i could be wrong and if i am, please point it out, that way i might learn something

1 - 20 of 59 Posts