Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best way to increase low RPM torque on a 2.0 liter Duratec/Mazda 2005 Focus? I figure it is likely a cool/cold air intake(such as MM). This would make a significant increase of horsepower at all RPM's, thus increasing torque at the low end.

When I have a hitch installed on my Focus I would like to keep the RPMs down while towing to reduce the wear and tear on the engine and powertrain. I plan on doing this by increasing torque, rather than running higher rpms at stock HP to make up for hauling the extra load. (don't worry, it would only be a Uhaul 4x8 or 5x8 van trailer. I'm NOT hauling a boat or heavy camper trailer.)

I know where my research resources are(mostly Google), but I'm no expert on this subject. Advice would be greatly appreciated. If my pretense is wrong and something else is more pertinent, let me know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
add a Supercharger? I mean common a Cold Air Intake my add a few HP up top but I don't think its going to do anything for low end. mebbe a few and I mean a few foot pounds but whats that going to get you? I doubt you should be towing with your engine period but if you must your gonna have to keep it the RPMs up.

Jake

·
FoFo Quebec!
1,486 Posts
A Focus is not really meant to tow anything. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey focuses are good at towing other cars. Ive done this on many occasions when my other friends cars break down.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
http://www.marcymotorsport.com/

There is a nice bump in torque across the whole rpm band.

There are NO superchargers in development for the duratec right now by anyone.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i wouldnt worry about the low end as much as the top end. low end on these cars are pretty good its the top end that sucks. wait to hit a hill and see what im talkn about. but IMO i would just get a tune and run 93 oct. gives little more low end and top end and gas milage is off the charts. when im kinda hard on my car i get like 26 mpg around town as before i was getting like 21-23.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'm not quite sure how far the OP wants to get into his car but you can make gobs of torque naturally aspirated.

High compression, a 2.5" exhaust, a nice header, and the upcoming marcy motorsport intake manifold and some Crane 1's will make a lot of torque instantly.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
no, it makes power across the rpm band.

I've got an 11.6:1 that has a dynamic compression in the 240 psi range last time I checked it and make oodles of torque.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
aero_student said:
no, it makes power across the rpm band.

I've got an 11.6:1 that has a dynamic compression in the 240 psi range last time I checked it and make oodles of torque.
note the first sentence of my reply to you

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hmm... well I know you are right, but I was just being dumb. I saw torque and no HP on your first post and was curious. Although some mods will effect HP more or TQ more and some equally the same. I have seen your posts in the past I know you know, so I just asked some questions.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'm just giving you a little grief ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok i live in arizona and everyone here thinks if u want to tow something u need a damn truck honestly im sick of that crap i was born over seas and u dont need a damn v8 or v10,v12 to tow somthn i knew a guy bought a chevy truck a 1500 because he was moving to ny to tow a trailer truck got totaled because some people dont think they think everybody is going to move out of the way because thet got a truck it got hit by a mustang gt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your replies. I'd prefer not to drill any new holes if that is required for a bolt on mod. A cold air intake like MM's would likely be sufficient, even if the RPMs have to run a bit high. Maybe some of the other mods I'll look at in the future.

I called Uhaul about it and they said a 4'x8' trailer would be the right match for the Focus. With a trans cooler I think it would be fine with a 5'x8' as long as I'm not loading it to its full 1800lb capasity. I'd also get full synthetic oil and add trans cool additive as well. My need for the larger trailer is to get a full sized matteress in it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts