Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, Ive got a 4GB Sony flash drive in the Focus now and it seems to work good, shows albulm art and all that, but Im wanting to get at least a 16GB flash drive to put all my CDs on. Are there any special specs to look for or will any 16gb flash drive work fine? It seems they all say USB 2.0 is that all that matters? Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
I haven't found a concrete answer on how large a USB flash drive Sync can handle.

16 GB seems to work fine from what I've heard, but I may need more.

I'm currently using Foobar2000 to convert my flac and mp3 files to smaller mp3's.

It'll be interesting to see how much space I'll need once conversion is complete.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 16GB Transcend USB 2.0 in mine. It was pre-formatted as FAT32 and ready to go.

Off the root I have 2 main folders: Photos, Music. Under Music, my folder structure is:Artist/Artist-Album. Considering Sync is a Microsoft product, there might be a limit to the length of a particular file's path so it might be a good idea to keep folder/file names as short as possible? dunno...not really sure.

I'm not sure if Sync builds a small index of the USB contents when a new USB device is inserted. I know that saying something like "Search Artist Madonna" gives me pretty quick results.

I would imagine read/write performance only comes into play when you're loading songs onto the USB stick from your computer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i dont have a '12 either but i dont see why it would be any different than my '09 and assume you could use anything thats formatted FAT32....including a 2.5" hard drive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have issues with a 8GB Kingston. It works sometimes, other times it displays a warning after starting the vehicle and sync tells me it is not supported. Software issue with the car?
I had no problem with my 2008 and the same thumb drive.

·
Registered
355 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts