Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice regarding replacement rotors and pads for my front breaks on my 08. Although the stock ones are still OK, I cant help but see they are of cheep construction. I would like to replace my rotor and pad set with MUCH better quality and stopping performance then these stock ones. (as long as they are bolt on NO MODS) I will soon be moving to the desert south west and it gets good and HOT down there and there are lots of mountains to drive on. I want rotors and pads that resist fading and cool down FASTER then the stock ones. My budget for the front set parts is $400.00 MAX! Thanks for your opinions!!!!

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
how about swapping over to the SVT brakes?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how about swapping over to the SVT brakes?
SVT brakes? Do they fit on my 08 without Modifications? I only wish to change the rotor and pad assembly. If so please provide me a link so I can study up a bit on them. THANKS!

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
For the svt front swap is direct bolt on and does cost less than $400.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the svt front swap is direct bolt on and does cost less than $400.
I will check into these, as long as I don't have to change any other components other than the pads and rotors it could work for me. Do you have a link for these parts to share with me?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I thought our front brakes are actually superior to the svt brakes. Its the rear brake swap that we want and can be had for about $400 I think.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought our front brakes are actually superior to the svt brakes. Its the rear brake swap that we want and can be had for about $400 I think.
WRONG! the stock rotors are quite THIN and I suspect are limited to a 1 time use. After market stuff can be turned more and re used.

·
Registered
249 Posts
WRONG! the stock rotors are quite THIN and I suspect are limited to a 1 time use. After market stuff can be turned more and re used.
Let me rephrase that. I thought the 08+ calipers have better stopping power than svt calipers. And i dont care too much about reusing rotors depending on price. Less material = less rotating mass = better traction and handling.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
A good set of pads and rotors are all you need, EBC and Hawk make great break pads, and Centric Blank Rotors will do just fine for you. they will provide great stoping power and long life. The SVT kit is really nice however unless you plan on racing the thing a lot there is no need for it. I lived in Phoenix for 3 years and did plenty of mountain driving in the middle of the summer with Hawk pads and ebc rotors and never had an issue.

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
I just did mine on an 08coupe and I did oem rotors just cause it was cheaper and ebc red stuff the oem rotors are great and ebc red pads are great as well. But if your someone who THINKS drilled and sloted rotors are better then go and buythose
Posted via FF Mobile

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts

Your wrong I've raced svt and my 08coupe and my 08 will out stop any stock svt. I have OEM rotors and ebc pads learn about breaks just cause the rotors bigger doesn't mean bettter you have to look and how much of the pad contacts the rotor

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After carefull consideration and review I orderd new front brakes to replace the OEM ones. If these dont work out I can allways swich back. I orderd- Posi Quiet Extended Wear Brake Pads
Front Pads - Full Set
Vehicle 2008 Ford Focus
Submodel All Focus models
AutoAnything SKU 3355440
Part # 106.13390
$86.95
EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors
Front Rotor Set
Vehicle 2008 Ford Focus
Submodel 2.0L 4-cyl. engine
AutoAnything SKU 3075470
Part # USR7309 $230.95

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Be honest, Its the SIZE of the rotor and the Material thats used with your pads that judges the STOPPING power of your vehicle. You can have the SVTF brake upgrade and use some crappy pads and compare it to the 2nd Gen brake setup and use EBC redstuff or even Hawk pads and it'll out perform the svtf all because of the PADS.

IMO, i dislike hawk pads. Very squeaky when the pads are cold. EBC redstuff hardly ever squeak. If you have money, you can always get Carbon ceramic pads and rotors. that'll stop you 60-0 on a dime! :)

@ john m. -
http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordoemsvtfrontbrakeupgradefor05-09focus.aspx

^^ this link is for the SVTF Swap

Unlike the rear disc brake swap, you cannot select different type of rotors/pads. BUMMER.

·
Registered
578 Posts
just buy a braded line kit for the fronts and invest heavily in the rears. i track my car on stock pads and rotors and went 80000 miles before i serviced them. i have never had any compaints about the stock fronts except they flash rust like a motha and they lightly dust my wheels.

the rear drums donot provide enough force in my opinion but you must be careful back there as to not cause lock up and oversteer the 08+ with the better suspension do this enough. the rear drums also hold the bearing assemblies and cannot be serviced without removing them. this is one good reason to upgrade.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Typically isn't 60%-75% of the stopping power for the car directed at the front wheels?

If so, (and I'm pretty sure I'm right here), changing the rears, especially if they don't really need it won't get you much.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Typically isn't 60%-75% of the stopping power for the car directed at the front wheels?

If so, (and I'm pretty sure I'm right here), changing the rears, especially if they don't really need it won't get you much.
Technically you're right. However, you can bring the brakes back into their 70:30 balance with a proportioning valve if necessary.

Most people won't need it, so what you get is the satisfaction of seeing 4 wheel disc on your car. Racers will put an adjustable proportioning valve to good use though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Do you think it might be worth it to get some better, higher-quality pads and just keep the stock rotors? Would it make a difference?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you think it might be worth it to get some better, higher-quality pads and just keep the stock rotors? Would it make a difference?
I got both heading my way thanks to U.P.S. Although the slotted rotors I got are listed as "performance" I feel the quality of the pad you buy DOES MAKE A DIFERANCE even with stock rotors!. I don't think you save any money going cheep with brake pads!. I stay away from stores like A.Z. or other car part stores of that caliber for important safety things like rotors or pads. Those stores might be fine for car wax or a light bulb but for brakes FORGET ABOUT IT!. (YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR) and remember, your famialy rides in that car!. Front Pads - Full Set Posi Quiet Extended Wear Brake Pads

Vehicle 2008 Ford Focus
Submodel All Focus models
AutoAnything SKU 3355440
Part # 106.13390
$86.95
EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors
Front Rotor Set
Vehicle 2008 Ford Focus
Submodel 2.0L 4-cyl. engine
AutoAnything SKU 3075470
Part # USR7309 $230.95

1 - 18 of 18 Posts