Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
haha, definitely not an UDP!! no hp in that. go w/ a good set of cams gears and all boltons.

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
What are you thinking cam gears will add ? agree UDP a waste of time much like the cam gears , coils , wires

A tune will help you come then help more as you do other mods

Tom

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Making a switch to fully synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid (like I sell. Link is in my sig) will definitely reduce friction and you'll see gains on your next fill up.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
yes if its an auto and its never been changed, drop the pan and change the trans filter

i gained 3 mpg just by doing that at 137k for the first time (PO sucked at PM)

otherwise i would say a cheap short ram intake, will give you MPG and a bit of power.

·
Registered
351 Posts
1. Tune
2. SRI or CAI
3. Exhaust

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Sorry Tom, I forgot comma's, "Cams, Gears, and boltons"

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
if its an automatic then a tune and a full exhaust (header/flex/catback) would be your best bets for increasing power MPG and sound :)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Reduce the weight of the vehicle.
Reduce rotating friction.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
the best bang for your buck to up the power is nitrous hands down. it can be dangerous if not done correctly but its the cheapest power upper that actually piles on the power. for fuel econ and a little more power get an sct xcalibrator 3 and talk to tom for a tune.

·
Registered
351 Posts
This was in today's paper from Mazda:

MAINTAINANCE ITEM-----------------BENEFIT-------------------------MPG INCREASE

Properly Inflated Tires----------------Proper Rolling Resistance-------------1-2 MPG

Clean Air Filter-----------------------Proper Fuel/Air Mixture----------------2 MPG

Properly Functioning Spark Plugs------Efficient Combustion/Limit Fuel Waste--2 MPG

Properly Functioning O2 Sensor-------Detects And Adjusts Air/Fuel Mixture---3 MPG

Clean Engine Oil----------------------Minimizes Internal Engine Friction-----.4 MPG

Don't know where Mazda got their info. but, it's interesting. At Ford we were told that an internal combustion engine is, basically, a big air pump. Air is sucked in and pumped out. The "Clean Air Filter" screams of adding an SRI or CAI and, assuming that they allow more air into the engine, a better exhaust would follow (more air in- more air out). This, followed by a good tune, would seem to fall into Mazda's guidelines and, common sense!

·
Registered
305 Posts
there can be a minimal increase but for the most part
performance and economy are trade-offs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts