Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best tune option for the price? What is your experience/preference? What are the benefits/rewards of a "custom tune" and/or a "canned tune", does it really even matter?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Injected Engineering. Have had it on my '13 5spd and my '14 DCT. Really smooths out the power band, yielding smoother movement from a dead stop, better gas mileage and an overall improved driving experience.

Combined with a sturdier RMM, aftermarket cold air intake and snorkel delete and you have one sweet performing car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Injected Engineering. Have had it on my '13 5spd and my '14 DCT. Really smooths out the power band, yielding smoother movement from a dead stop, better gas mileage and an overall improved driving experience.

Combined with a sturdier RMM, aftermarket cold air intake and snorkel delete and you have one sweet performing car.
A "smoother movement from a dead stop" is definitely what i'm looking for. I've never heard of that company but I will check them out. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I'll tell you one thing.... I had Focus Power's tune on mine. I have a 12 SE. I had a few issues at the beginning getting it tuned. Then, I had rough idle and 0-60 times were a bit less. Did a before and after dyno, and only gained 3 hp. This past weekend, my car went bonkers and i was not getting power to wheels. Tried to revert to stock, and it wouldn't. Car won't power on. Tom did not try to help but SCT did. I had a feeling the car would end up at Ford anyway but SCT tried at least. Regardless, I can't say it was for sure the tune or not, but know that it happened with their tune on the car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll tell you one thing.... I had Focus Power's tune on mine. I have a 12 SE. I had a few issues at the beginning getting it tuned. Then, I had rough idle and 0-60 times were a bit less. Did a before and after dyno, and only gained 3 hp. This past weekend, my car went bonkers and i was not getting power to wheels. Tried to revert to stock, and it wouldn't. Car won't power on. Tom did not try to help but SCT did. I had a feeling the car would end up at Ford anyway but SCT tried at least. Regardless, I can't say it was for sure the tune or not, but know that it happened with their tune on the car.
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that it could have been a tune issue that caused all these issues. That was something I was afraid of... messing with the stock computer, trying to put it back to stock and not being able to. The I'm sure Ford would not honor any type of warranty becasue of that. Seems like a nightmare to me and I love hearing all of the thoughts and experience from the forum.

Hopefully they will be able to help you. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Will do, like I said I can't confirm for sure yet. But, they have confirmed that all the wiring leading up to the TCM is okay.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I was kinda hoping for a wiring problem to show up early in your diagnostics.

TCM problems are all too common, seeing more of them lately & it's an expensive part to have to guess at for a solution.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I was kinda hoping for a wiring problem to show up early in your diagnostics.

TCM problems are all too common, seeing more of them lately & it's an expensive part to have to guess at for a solution.
It's what I had hoped for, but I knew I wasn't the issue. There had been some issues that would also happen with the tune that wouldn't without it. Rough idle, and decreased 0-60. I can't pinpoint that this dealership issue is tune related. But as I had said, it happened when I was tuned, and I had never had issues

·
Registered
374 Posts
Toms tune is the best one I've tried yet. He also has exceptional advice and cust service. Also free updates when needed after certain upgrades.
What is the best tune option for the price? What is your experience/preference? What are the benefits/rewards of a "custom tune" and/or a "canned tune", does it really even matter?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toms tune is the best one I've tried yet. He also has exceptional advice and cust service. Also free updates when needed after certain upgrades.
How do you feel about the customer service/support from Tom's Tune?

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
How do you feel about the customer service/support from Tom's Tune?
A lot of folks have been happy with both Tom's and Injected's tune. FWIW Injected is a canned tune (they send you a base tune and I don't believe any changes are made afterwards unless things are unsafe for whatever reason), whereas Tom's are custom and involves datalogging. Something to consider if you do or don't want to datalog.

Another option is Steeda. I use them with my Mustang and am very happy with the results. They are generally a canned tune, but you can send them a datalog to make sure everything is kosher and no changes need to be made. Steeda is also a very large company (relatively speaking, of course), so if something goes wrong there is a very solid company behind you, especially if major damage occurs due to the tune.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
You have to have the tune device already

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Most places charge around $150 for just a tune. If the tuning device is included then often the tune price is included or significantly discounted.

Canned tunes can be very worthwhile. Without any significant modifications to your drivetrain, there really isn't a lot of need for a fully custom tune. The biggest gains you'll see will be in throttle response, and in the case of automatic transmissions how the transmission responds. You should just make sure and datalog after the initial tune to make sure everything is running safely. The tuning company should be able to look that over and make sure everything is good to go or if tweaks need to be made.

A custom tune means a lot of little tweaks can be made to get every last drop of power from your engine. While this is nice, there isn't much to be gained from a mostly stock Focus. Unless you have an ST or have significant engine mods there's just no point in going through the hassle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The biggest gains you'll see will be in throttle response, and in the case of automatic transmissions how the transmission responds.
That is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

You should just make sure and datalog after the initial tune to make sure everything is running safely.
Ok, I know I'll sound incredibly dumb here but, what is datalog?

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
That is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

Ok, I know I'll sound incredibly dumb here but, what is datalog?
You use your tuning device and datalogging software on a laptop to record various data points regarding your engine and other components. It will make sure the engine is not knocking, or any other unsafe conditions exist.

It can also be used to dial in the tune, to make minor adjustments to squeeze a bit more out of everything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts