Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wonderin what exactly it would take for me to build a decent suspension. I dont care about comfort i care more about performance[twothumbs] any links and brands would be awesome ! Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Eibach sways f/r -200

eibach 1.5" lowering springs if its not a DD (stiff and less comfortable) or if it is a DD vogtland 1.6" lowering springs (comfortable and fun to drive) -200

shocks to match -400

Total -800

With the shocks if you go w/ vogtland you'll be fine on stock shocks for about 3-5 years before they go bad... Pretty consistent across all cars. (mk3 focus, e30, ECT have all done that.)

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is the $600 car correct?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-3000-zx3a

^ Ford Racing SVT suspension for $340. Gives you both shocks and springs with the front pre-assembled. Lowers the car a bit and will give you a more stable, competent ride without beating you to death. People autocross with this set up and its a noticeable difference from the standard focus suspension. Plus, I'm willing to bet the car you bought might still have the original suspension on it. So, it would be a good idea to do springs and struts anyways. Your going to want to factor in the cost of installation (unless you do it yourself) and an alignment afterwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the $600 car correct?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-3000-zx3a

^ Ford Racing SVT suspension for $340. Gives you both shocks and springs with the front pre-assembled. Lowers the car a bit and will give you a more stable, competent ride without beating you to death. People autocross with this set up and its a noticeable difference from the standard focus suspension. Plus, I'm willing to bet the car you bought might still have the original suspension on it. So, it would be a good idea to do springs and struts anyways. Your going to want to factor in the cost of installation (unless you do it yourself) and an alignment afterwards.
Yeah. Its the 600 buck one. Its about to be alot more than that too lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you got a car for 600 bucks and it runs?
Lol. Basically i pulled it out of nowhere. The guys wanted about 1000 and i talked him down and down and down until he broke at 600. The car runs great and looks terrible. But i have already started body work. It is a project lol v

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
If you want performance I would look at H&R or KW, if you are more budget oriented, then ST coil overs. Do sway bars at the same time. I'd also suggest better tires and if you have the budget, lighter wheels as well.

Depending on the age of the car, budget for some new bits if you encounter rust and have to cut. Adjustable rear camber/toe arms will be helpful with aligning

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I may offer some insight that might have been overlooked. I have not yet changed the suspension on my focus, however I did do it on my Honda and one thing I hadn't thought of when installing a coilover system was that while it did offer a smooth ride and great handling, it only did so on very smooth roads as that type of suspension is built with the idea of being used on a clean, "groomed" track. The second you hit your average every day run of the mill road with pot holes, loose gravel, and bumps, I found that my car no longer handled anywhere close to how it did even stock. Looking back, I wish I would have gone somewhere in the middle of a stock suspension and a high end coilover system. That way it would've had a sportier feel while still staying glued to the road over bumps and inconsistencies in the road. Hope this insight might give you something to think about when shopping for a new suspension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts