Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the thread title says, what is the best plugs for an '03 Zetec? A noob question, I know, but I want to get the right stuff that'll last a long time and may get a SLIGHT bump in performance/feel. I've heard some decent things about Autolite plugs, but are clueless as to what kind to get. Right now, it has some Motorcraft Platinum plugs that look a little worn and should be replaced. If anybody wants a pic of them, I can dig one up on my iPod.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
You can stick with your motorcraft plats and be fine. Some people like the iridiums. Both if these are just for long life. Some people like the motorcraft coppers but being copper means you have to change them around every 12k-15k cuz the metal wears quicker.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^This

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
You will see no performance difference in running a different plug, spark, coil, or wires for the most part until you are pushing your car far beyond stock. The stock ignition setup on the Zetec Ford got dead on and there is very little anyone can do to it to improve power. As stated the coppers or iridiums tend to provide the best idle.

Just change them out when your suppose to, use Motorcraft plugs and gap them what you are suppose to.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't notify me there were 6 posts, but whatever... I'll probably just get a new set of Platinums, I have some spare cash laying around and thought I should give her a general tune-up.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mines been running slow all day as well.
I took Tapatalk off my iPod because it was getting really, really buggy and slow. Web version of the forum is much better to work with anyways.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've gone through countless threads on the topic of which spark plug is best and the conclusion that I've come to is that I will just be using the original Motorcraft plugs as they are long-lasting and have no known issues. They might be a little more expensive than other plugs but the peace of mind is worth it in my opinion.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plus I've heard that they were designed to be ran with your specific car, so they'll end up working better. Not sure if this is 100% true, but it is what I heard.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Plus I've heard that they were designed to be ran with your specific car, so they'll end up working better. Not sure if this is 100% true, but it is what I heard.
Yeah that's where the peace of mind comes from. The car comes from the factory with the Motorcraft plugs so you know they've had a lot of testing done in that specific vehicle.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's the difference between the Copper and Platinum plugs other than metal?

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Plats run 3-4 times more money and usually last around 100k miles. Coppers are about $13-$15 a set but only last around 10k-15k miles depending on how you push the engine. You will also notice the coppers have a much larger electrode than the plats since copper is a softer more easily worn metal. And iirc copper actually has less resistance than platinum. But in the end your performance will still be the same cuz good plugs being copper, plat or iridium will still basically yield the same performance.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for clearing that up, I've been wondering the difference for awhile.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Coppers are copper core, the tip is still iron. Platinums have Plat tips so they wear better over time.

Duratec spark plug sticky should have the test info in there IIRC, Coppers were the only "special" plug to show gains on the dyno over stock - but it only lasts a while as mentioned. They can last longer, but performance drops off & still only a quarter the full life of platinums. Plats usually get replaced before 100,000, even with them performance drops off at the end of their life.

Plug numbers are different for duratecs, only referring you there for test info.& commentaries.

·
Registered
33 Posts
what about 4 point plugs? i would think with a direct overhead plug in the ztec
that there not being a pice of metal in the way like traditional plugs
would yield a slightly better more even burn

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
365 Posts
has anyone tried Autolite coppers? my friend here got me to try copper in my car because he said he had seen a thread that shown a 4whp gain with switching to coppers. (if your running plats stock)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Here's the "stickie" link from the top of the page:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155853

You'll have to follow it to near the end for the latest part numbers.

Duratec guys are using the autolites, Ford has Copper plugs for the zetecs that are reasonable so that's been more common to use in them.

Special plugs like the 4 electrode type haven't shown any benefit for these. They DO only spark to one electrode anyways....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts