Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my question now is, when is it the best time to shift in my focus, like when does the pull stop and its my optimum time to shift?????

I have a Focus ZX3 2.0l DOHC with borla exhaust system, and an aem intake valve, and i recently got new spark plugs and wires.

So when does my pull stop and i should shift?? like whats a normal stock Zx3 do and then what do you think mine is?? i cant really tell when it stops pulling/

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The only true way to know would be to dyno your car and see where your powerband sits and shift accordingly. But since most people don't want to shell out the cash to do it that way, just shift at the generic 5800-6200 depending on your car's factory timing.

And is it neccessary to use so many exclamation points and question marks at the end of your sentences? I'm not trying to be an arse, but your topic line makes it look like it's some kind of dire emergency.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
k i know i have a duratec, but i usually feel my power dropping off around 5500. so i usually shift around 54, works out pretty well

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
yeah in my zetec the power drops off around 5500 and i have about the same mods as the original poster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dwdgsi03 said:

And is it neccessary to use so many exclamation points and question marks at the end of your sentences? I'm not trying to be an arse, but your topic line makes it look like it's some kind of dire emergency.

lets put it this way... got you to respond didnt it???? just like to catch the readers eye, im sorry if it in someway offended you or got you riled up pal.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Yeah, but some others have a slight increase in timing from the factory (mine for example). So there's that window between 5500-6200 where peak power may be realized. So just shift 500rpms after that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
6200 works for me, it puts you in the sweet spot for your next gear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mine after the 5000 mark, starts making a weird noise in the engine. It's like the motor is going to get choked or something, is that normal? Plus I think my car has little power when I have 3 people with me.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Is your air filter clean? You are going to be slower with 4 people in the car. Weight slows you down quite a bit, every hundred pounds is a tenths so 4 people at 100 to 150lbs each is 4 to five tenths. Half a second is alot in racing.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Yes indeed replace your air filter or clean it if you have a K&N or a CAI.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
i shift between 6200 and 6500 rpms at the drag strip, i usually only get to 5500-6000 when i really need to accelerate on the street/highway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts