Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best - recongmended rear sway bar with the stock front 21mm swaybar?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Probably the SVT rear.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are the two im pondering over. I want the most neutral handling car I can get while using the stock front bar. I believe some where geezer I saw that you said the 22mm would be the bar to make the car more neutral. If any has the stock front with the svt or progressive tell me what you think.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Could sell you the stock SVT one if you want. I'm looking to upgrade my svt suspension.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
honestly id say the eibach 25mm rear...if you have coilovers

without coilovers its the svt or progress rear

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
looks like he has the roush suspension so i'd reccomend the 22mm rear progress bar

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ultimately, the correct answer to your question depends on what springs you have.

I've used 3 RSB's in conjunction with the stock 21mm front sway bar on my SVTF.

21mm SVT - Big improvement over a stock non-SVT Focus. Still biased toward understeer.

22mm Progress - More neutral than the SVT bar. A good RSB.

Auto-X-ZTS Adjustable RSB - This is what I currently have and I think it's perfect. Even more neutral than the Progress bar with a nice progressive feel to it. They come in 2 sizes and they're adjustable.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yea...i had three as well

21 svt - good for a DD but beyond that i was unimpressed

22 progress - a bit better but not what i was craving

25 eibach - loved it. perfect bar, made the car incredibly fun!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I have the SVT suspension on my car with the Progress 22 on the rear, quite happy with it now. It was quite noisy when originally installed but has quieted down a lot.
I don't autocross or really beat on my car, so I probably haven't been pushing it to the edge of it's performance. Then again, it hasn't done anything wacky on me while driving in the snow either ; )

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
well...its a good bar, however for a DD i wouldnt run it. too stiff, too much like a live axle in rear.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I dont wan't the 28.6 because I don't have the money to buy a new front sway bar as well. I have the roush suspension which I believe is one of the Eibach setup?

Anyway, I was thinking the progressive 22m RSB would be the best match up but I just wanted other peoples opinions to reinforce my thought.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If a person wants something a little bigger than the Progress 22 bar, Suspension Techniqes makes a nice 7/8"....about 22.25mm.

A few others:
SPP/AutoXZTS makes a 7/8" 3-way (works like roughly 21.5/22.25/23mm)
H&R makes a 24mm non adjustable
SPP/AutoXZTS makes 15/16" 3-way (works like roughly 23/24/25mm)

The adjustable bars are shown/discussed in the "Hard Cornering" thread

Softer cars need softer bars because of the LCA issue; stiffly sprung cars (e.g. H&R Race) should be ok with something in the area of 24/25mm. I have gone on record several times in saying that I think the 28mm bar has no place on any street driven Focus.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i do autocross on mine. but to each there own...right[driving]

I just don't want to see you, or anyone with Steeda race bar get hurt--or worse, hurt some innocent bystander because of a LCA failure, or a snap spin in an evasive manouver on the street.

That bar is like 58% stiffer than the Eibach 25mm bar. The Eibach Bar is like 66% stiffer than the Progress 22mm bar. And the Progress bar is like 46% stiffer than an OE 20mm bar... The forces that the Steeda bar makes are HUGE...and it is known that the LCAs can fracture--even the 'good' ones.

The bar increases in stiffness eponentally to the 4th power. (Larger bar/smaller bar)^4. (28/25)^4. 28/25=1.12. 1.12^4-1.5735...or nearly 58% after rounding.
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?print=21

I shudder to think what an LCA fracturing at speed would result in.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
The bar increases in stiffness eponentally to the 4th power. (Larger bar/smaller bar)^4. (28/25)^4. 28/25=1.12. 1.12^4-1.5735...or nearly 58% after rounding.
Ok, how did you derive the percentage? [8] (granted its been awhile!)
Thanks

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i have will have a used 22mm progress bar for sale in the spring...

the steeda bar requires the mounts that NewEdgePerformance carries. they are uber-beefier than anything else out there. without them, you will break the bar away from the cross-member. also, SVT LCA's are required as they are reinforced. or you can re-inforce them yourself if you can weld and have some scrap steel laying around.

a steeda RSB and a H&R FSB are the biggest combo you can go with. you will nearly have absolutely zero body roll. Mike Trendel and a few others are currently running this setup.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts