Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this forum but Im still unclear as to what mods will get the best power gains (without FI, that will be coming much later on). The first mod will be Toms Custom tune, as It seems everyone who has it says it should be the first upgrade.
I have heard people say for an intake, just using a K&N filter is a better route then gettting an new intake. Just wondering if anyone has found a certain intake getting better power gains than the stock one? Also, I will be replacing the cat with a straight pipe and looking at an MBRP exhaust, what size will be best? 2.5"?
Thanks for all your help!

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,978 Posts
keep stock exhaust.. just get a orp tune and maybe just maybe a CAI or SRI

oh yeah and use the search button... it will be better for all :D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Best route I've heard would be to do a tom's and then get a K&N drop in, since the stock intake breathes so well already. A Violate wouldn't be a bad idea, but I wouldn't get a CAI or SRI, it's not worth it, and It might not even show gains.

Other than that, a drop is common, no more than maybe an inch though, since it's already pretty low, and maybe do some weight shedding by getting some lighter wheels and the back seats (if you don't need them).

The SVT, unlike my car (SPI) is already almost perfect on power and agility, so you really don't have to even put in that much effort to get that last 5% or so out of it.

Happy Tuning!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I mentioned in my post, I did search but have found some that do a CAI and some that just do a drop in filter, and some that use stock exhaust while some go to 2.5" so I was just wondering what way gets the best gains.
As for keeping the stock exhaust, I thought about it since IMO its a great sounding exhaust but I just love the way the MBRP exhaust sounds.

keep stock exhaust.. just get a orp tune and maybe just maybe a CAI or SRI

oh yeah and use the search button... it will be better for all :D

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,978 Posts
uhm... the CAI does something although you say no.. one thing is worth the money and other is if it does something or not.. ive seen about 5whp with the intake stuff all of them aftermarket, im running a drop in filter tho..

about the exhaust the 2.5 catback is all for sound, there is a full 3" exhaust dyno sheet and hp or tq doesnt increase that much, so 2.5 catback would do nothing to svt.. id change everything to 3" which is what i may do and if not you should simply get a orp or hfc

the tune is a must for sure

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have an ORP with the 2.5 inch MBRP. You can basically forget about sounding good. My car is very loud. I am not complaining though, cause I like it. At lower RPMs it sounds deep and pops a lot. At higher RPMs you might get confused with a Honda though.

I like it though.

An intake will def make the car sound awesome too. If you can find a good deal on one you should jump on it. There is not a lot of gains with them though but I still bought one.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Not sure how serious you are about FI later on but if you are I would go ahead and get the 3" trubendz with a magnaflow now that way you don't have to change it out later down the road.

If you are not looking for FI later on then I have to recommenc magnaflow with a resonator. I went a similar route that you are doing before I went turbo. I bought an ORP, a tune and drop in filter and it was great.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I hate how people say CAI don't do anything without even using one. I've ran S/R, CAI and stock with K&N. CAI is by far the best. An exhaust unless you go 3in will really just give you a better sound as most are actually slightly smaller than stock albeit better flowing. An ORP is def a good mod aswell as a good tune.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Second for the CAI, i have an AEM and noticed a bit more punch in the midrange, and that was before my tune.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
I've got an AEM CAI , ORP with Borla center exit exhaust, Tom's tune, Taylor plug wires with Motorcraft Copper cores gapped .060. This setup rocks pretty good. I love the midrange power the intake and exhaust gave me. The plugs/wires gave me and instant jolt of power, noticeable throughout the entire power range. Plus, it just sounds so good.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
CAI
ORP
Tom's Tune
HeaderWrap
67mm TB

Don't waste your money on MSD coil and wires. No gain, poor quality and will fail after a few years. My friends JRSC SVT focus had some serious cutting out issues due to the wires and coil. Switched back to stock and the problems went away like they were never there.

You will have a very fun SVT with those mods. Those are the best IMO.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Don't waste your money on MSD coil and wires. No gain, poor quality and will fail after a few years. My friends JRSC SVT focus had some serious cutting out issues due to the wires and coil. Switched back to stock and the problems went away like they were never there.
Really? That's what I run and haven't had a problem with it at all. Granted I couldn't tell a difference from stock which is why I support you in saying that the stock ignition system is enough.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Intake, ORP, Full Exhaust, Tune, and Custom Cams. I believe I have the numbers for the cams. And maybe a TB. All that will get you to almost 180 whp. I can't remember the user profile, but he's on streetfire and has this setup. Be ready to get pulled over for the noise though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went with a Volant CAI, trubendz borla 2.5 catback exhaust with a magnaflow resonator, Denso plugs and wires (i noticed a smoother acceleration and idle).
If you going with an orp (off road pipe) you probably should replace the rest of your exhaust. personally, i wouldn't reccomend screwing with finding an O2 cheater for emmisions, if they are strict where u are. As far as the back pressure, i read up on it and found that its pretty much irrelevant. i mean don't run a 5 inch diesel exhaust on it, but i can tell you i havent had any problems whatsoever with mine, and im running 2.5 inches on an spi. i think i lost a little torque of the line, but i gained much more power on the high end. plus, it just sounds cool.

I second the resonator if ur going FI. your engine will definately be louder.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts