Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm been doing my oil changes at a shop that I know not sure what kind they use, and ima start doing it myself cause money is tight , and I want to know what Brand would be best to use on my SPI ? Also wondering if its save to go with Synthetic oil at 89,999 miles ?

Posted via Blackberry

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
yes you will be fine to start using synthetic, if you do you should keep using it after you make the change to it.

Any Synthetic will work just fine, Most guys swear by AMSOIL and Royal Purple but its expensive and a bit of overkill imo. I use Mobil 1 and have been for some time now. You can pick up a 5 qt jug of it at walmart for around $25 so the price is good too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes you will be fine to start using synthetic, if you do you should keep using it after you make the change to it.

Any Synthetic will work just fine, Most guys swear by AMSOIL and Royal Purple but its expensive and a bit of overkill imo. I use Mobil 1 and have been for some time now. You can pick up a 5 qt jug of it at walmart for around $25 so the price is good too.
So when I do the oil change do I just pour in the synthetic oil, do I need to do anything be for?

And also is there a certain kind of synthetic oil I need to use specifically for my car, I never really fooled around with synthetic oil

and when will the next oil change be, I know with regular oil is every 3,000 what about synthetic?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
401 Posts
You're looking to save money so Royal Purple or some other boutique brand is probably out of the question. I would use Motorcraft Semi-Syn and Motorcraft filter, both are fairly priced and it's good stuff.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You're looking to save money so Royal Purple or some other boutique brand is probably out of the question. I would use Motorcraft Semi-Syn and Motorcraft filter, both are fairly priced and it's good stuff.
I wouldn't change the oil, it'll probably drop a valve seat before it actually blows due to the oil having no viscosity.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't change the oil, it'll probably drop a valve seat before it actually blows due to the oil having no viscosity.
Yeah, that's what the guys on Focaljet told me, I think im just going to go with regular oil.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah, that's what the guys on Focaljet told me, I think im just going to go with regular oil.

Posted via FF Mobile
Yeah, I'm not trying to be an a$$hole, but it's a guaranteed engine failure with an SPI. I would just put in the cheapest oil and start saving up for a Zetec swap, cause those motors are indestructible.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yep, I'd just stick with regular oil and keep it running as long as possible [driving]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's see how long she will last, right now I'm at 89,999 hopefully she don't get mad at me and bust a vavle just yet, Ha Either way I know the SPI is a junk motor, but it has been very a reliable car gives me no trouble :)
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
37 Posts
It will be significantly cheaper and way less of a headache to pull the head right now and get new intake valve seats pressed in. This is by far the best solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts