Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Best oil for daily driver?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  GRIMland 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 ZX4 ST. Just want some opinions as to which oil performs the best. This is my daily driver, and I live in the Midwest, so temperatures are a factor. Car is completely stock.

#2 ·
I have a 2007 ZX5. I live in Central Illinois. I am the car’s original owner. The car has 213k.

I don’t think the engine has ever been revved over 4k rpm’s.

I’ve used Valvoline convential/synthetic blend 5w20 since I purchased it new.

Oil changes every 3-5k miles. It runs like a sewing machine.

I had the valve cover & oil pan off this past summer and didn’t notice any sludge.

#4 ·
I have a 2007 ZX5. I live in Central Illinois. I am the car’s original owner. The car has 213k.

I don’t think the engine has ever been revved over 4k rpm’s.

I’ve used Valvoline convential/synthetic blend 5w20 since I purchased it new.

Oil changes every 3-5k miles. It runs like a sewing machine.

I had the valve cover & oil pan off this past summer and didn’t notice any sludge.
You don't drive with your foot to the floor like me redline everyday.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Depends on what price you want to pay, which usually breaks up into two tiers - conventional or synthetic (or blend of the two).

I've used Motorcraft (Ford brand) synth-blend in my Focus and Taurus for many years and have had very good oil lab results (I send oil occasionally to Blackstone labs for used oil analysis). For the "best" it's really a matter of opinion as you'll find, and everyone has one.
The most expensive will usually be Amsoil and you'll find devotees who'll hear nothing other than it's the best, which might be one of the leading brands out there but unless you only change the oil once a year or ~10,000 mile intervals it may be overkill. Not only very expensive but hard to find. Very few stores sell it, mostly it's independent dealers which are hit or miss. in Upper Midwest, Wisconsin-based Fleet Farms sell Amsoil and even have sales on it once or twice a year.
Mobil 1 synth is a very popular oil and does well in tests, easy to find and good price with occasional sale/rebate.
I personally use Pennzoil Platinum (not the hard to find Ultra version) in my Chevy Cruze, because it's ~$22 from walmart for a 5qt bottle, then every year they have a $10 rebate on it, so 5qt of quality highly rated full synth oil for $12 is a great deal.

Really if you are changing even a cheap brand name conventional oil at least every 3 to 5k miles, not going over 12 months, it will keep the engine protected under normal driving conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.