Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So i'm considering a motor swap for my '05 ZX3. It's the 2.0L Duratec that I have now. Is there a specific motor that you would recommend swapping into the car? And where's a good place to find one? Thanks!

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why? It is a waste of money. Just get a 2.3 liter and build the crap out of it. You will spend less then one of the pre made cosworth ones and it will be better.
Ok thanks for the info. Do you know where the best place to get a 2.3 would be?

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Junkyards are your best bet.

·
Registered
422 Posts
how many miles you have on yours..why not turbo it and call it a day

engine swap in these cars is a waste of money if it is done for performance in my opinion

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how many miles you have on yours..why not turbo it and call it a day

engine swap in these cars is a waste of money if it is done for performance in my opinion
It has only 22k on it but I don't know if the stock internals on the Duratec can handle the turbo. Does anyone know if it can or would it just be best to rebuild the motor?

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Depends on how much boost you are going to run. I hear rumor that 11 psi is as far as you can safely go for daily driver on stock internals without getting into reliability issues.

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I will do that instead of a motor swap. Now to just find a good turbo kit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i think even a low 6 or 7 psi boost will give you more power than an engine swap...and i wouldnt worry about it since your engine is new pretty much (well if you maintained it well since youve bought it)

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Why? It is a waste of money. Just get a 2.3 liter and build the crap out of it. You will spend less then one of the pre made cosworth ones and it will be better.
why? why? CAUSE IT A FREAKEN COSSIE!!!!!! the second you pop your hood open, people will know not to even bother. and if you get some NOS stickers that will put you in a group of your own.[driving] [read] lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
the 2.3 is really dependable too. it definitely holds its value and takes a lickin.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
why? why? CAUSE IT A FREAKEN COSSIE!!!!!! the second you pop your hood open, people will know not to even bother. and if you get some NOS stickers that will put you in a group of your own.[driving] [read] lol
Lol yea you pay for the "Powered by Cosworth". But hey if you got the money then go for it! I would.

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
That's what I've decided to do. I'm probably going to buy a used D23 from F2 and build it from the ground up with cossie crank, bearings, rods, pistons, and cams and then just swap my FS stage 2 turbo kit over from the D20 thats in my focus right now.

BTW, I'm pushing 11psi right now as a daily driver and having no issues whatsoever. [thumb]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you looking for the best motor or the most powerful setup?

Cossie engines are way overpriced and you cannot boost them from what I have read.

Duratec 2.3L Engines are great for boosting and you can get them up to 400hp. Of course there are loads of people who have safely run Stage 2 Turbos on stock internals for many years and they average about 250bhp. A turbo duratec makes for the best daily driver. You can drive normally out of boost then get on it when you need it.

I'd love to see some crazy engine in a focus but you're better sticking with what has proven most successful. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts