Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

This past weekend I took the SVT into the mountains and ran it pretty hard. I warped the front rotors, but thankfully the higher quality EBC rotors returned to their original form after the cooling down. When I had warped my OEM Centric rotors in the past they remained warped and I was unable to resurface them. :-/

After cooking the front brakes the front driver side is now dragging, probably from the guide-rod lubricant breaking down from the extreme heat.

I'm looking for recommendations on a higher quality brake lubricant and fluid that won't break down as quickly under heat. I also want to install anti-drag springs to added value.

Brake Setup:
Front & Rear - Russell Stainless Brake Line Kit
Front - EBC Front Dipled/Slotted Rotors and Hawk HP Plus Brake Pads
Rear - Centric Rotors and Pads

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Slider Pin lube:
http://www.amazon.com/SILGLYDE-LUBE-COMPOUND-8-OZ/dp/B000KXLR5E

I'm going to guess that your fluid was old. Old fluid is horrible, I would flush with a good fresh fluid. Pennsoil DOT3-4 has a fairly high boiling point. All the exotic stuff is just a waste of money as its so hygroscopic, you need to change it often.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ate Blue & Yellow brake fluids are popular, advantage in being able to tell when the system is thoroughly flushed as the fresh fluid color comes through clear.

Same product, different colors. Blue is most common, guess it looks cool!

Check that caliper, I've seen the dust boots cooked for a start before.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Coming from a european service background, its a good idea to flush the brake fluid every two years or 30k which ever is first. If this done from the time a car is new, you usually don't suffer brake caliper seize ups, though boots can still tear from aging.
Cheap disc rotors like the OEM quality Centric will warp under hard use, but that is true of any OEM grade replacement regardless of make. If you're really hard on them even the higher quality Bosch hi-carbon ones can warp (no those aren't considered to be competition quality, but are higher quality than the OEM ones).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts