Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...For a 2012 Focus SEL? 168,000, this car hasn’t had much basic maintenance outside of oil changes, I’m just giving it a full round of tuning up as cheap as I can for a friend. I wanted to use redline but is there something else better recommended for this vehicle?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,437 Posts
No reason to add anything if (1) you aren't having an issue, and (2) always fill up at Top Tier stations.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Redline makes a great fuel treatment. One of the best by far.

I recommend everyone check out the project farm YouTube channel he shows the insides of a lawn mower engine after every product he burns in it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well the reason I wanna do it is because the car was sitting for a couple months, my roommate was supposed to be back by now but they are not so I am doing some maintenance on it. It kind of sputters a little bit, that’s some thing it didn’t used to do. The throttle response is kind of bad, it takes a second to go and it takes a second to let off the gas when I let go of the pedal, could be the pedal position sensor going on but that’s a royal pain if so.

was planning on cleaning the intake system without taking off the manifold as best I could, and giving it some fuel treatment and driving it like a maniac and see if that helps get rid of the sputter or improve throttle response. If not I will have to check the fuel pressure and possibly clean the injectors. I don’t think this model has a typical fuel filter outside of the tank.

car has 165k miles, might do a compression test also, I really don’t wanna tell her that tps and app sensor needs to be replaced and taken to a shop cuz that’s money.

i’ve only done basic maintenance things (no owners manual so I’ve been using the internet as a resource instead) so far, oil change, transmission fluid change, coolant flush, change the air filter and cabin filter, rotated and put air in tires, inspected brakes they’re good, had to change the strut mount bearing on the front passenger side cuz it made a horrible sound it didn’t used to (bearing was DESTROYED) and then inspected the rest of the steering and suspension, trying to fix passenger air vent that’s stuck close, got rid of the old gas and gave it some fresh, it really is due for new plugs and wires but, I don’t know, that could improve the sputtering (it’s not bad or anything, it’s like every once in a while at idle it acts like it wants to stall out but doesn’t and then idles fine again, no misfires or engine codes), and she wantsme to do the cheapest I can for her but I’ve already spent a couple hundred bucks cuz they’re maintenance items are kind of expensive, so I’m nervous about saying I want to replace the plugs and wires.

so I was just going to do the fuel system treatment and do a couple tests and clean a couple things and call it a day and when she finally gets to drive it again if she has more problems or doesn’t like the way it feels she can let me know and I can do some more stuff to it I guess. I guess I can pull the plugs and look at them at the very least and look down in the engine with the boroscope.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I put Lucas in an old Focus we bought used. Added the Lucas 3 fill-ups in a row and monitored gas mileage. I had no measurable gains. However I think it hastened the demise of a failing fuel rail pressure sensor and it made a leaking injector more leaky (at least that is what happened shortly after). I would have been better off saving the money on Lucas and using it to replace the failing parts. I will not be using these products again...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If the car is running ok then adding anything is just snale oil - money literally down the drain.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
147 Posts
StarTron fuel treatment.

Buy the 8oz. treats 128-gal. bottle in the marine/sporting section of your favorite store,
costs under $10. Be sure to pickup a 1 to 2 Ounce measuring cup/shot-glass to keep with the car.
One ounce treats 15-Gal. The first treatment is double of the regular treatment amount.
Use on every fuelup. It’s great stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts