Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DONT PAY ATTENTION TO MY USER NAME, THIS IS FOR A ZETEC (MTX)

Ok, so I have already decided to go b00st.

My goal is low, but with potential. I want to fist go with stock internals prolly around 5-8psi and when I get hungry I can build the engine for more power, but for now keep it on budget boost.

Also this is NOT a daily driver; however, I do want to keep it somewhat moderate so I can go back to stock if I decide.

I would say my power goal would be 220ish (on the high end), but a consistent 180 would do.

I figure I would like to either go with a small turbo or a centrifugal supercharger, as I would like the boost between 2 and 4K as that is most likely where I will be spending most of my time.

From what I have gathered, a roots style SC would give me the boost right away, and a larger turbo would give me too much power too late.

My questions now is should I go with the SC or a small turbo having this be my first experience in terms of maintenance, potential problems, and install?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Turbo, then it will be much easier to turn up the boost when your ready. SC not as easy, plus might not even meet your power goal later on.

I also like turbo's for MPG. When you want the power its there, but if you dont need it then it can be an economical everyday car

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you have an SPI, I think turbo is the only choice you have. I dont think they make a SC kit for the SPI. A custom turbo is easier than a custom SC, especially roots SC.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
With the spi, those are high hopes.

Zetec I know will handle that kind of power, but not sure if the spi will take those numbers. Dont flame me if I am wrong.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I didn't notice he was SPI.

My knowledge is limited on the SPI but I agree with captain I do not think you will reach 220. 160whp is where I think a turbo at 6psi would put you.

Do you have an Auto or 5 speed?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not, that was my old Focus, I have a ZX3 now (with a Zetec... I wish I had found a PZEV, but I didn;t have tome to look)

THIS IS FOR A ZETEC, sorry I should have stated that (edited first post)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a first time booster. I'm just about ready to bring mine in for tuning.
For a first timer, and specifically a first timer that wants to do it themselves, the procharger kit is a piece of cake to install and will get some decent numbers. The 10lb kit will get you 200 to the wheels consistently.
Take your time and learn about all the options out there.
Bar none, the procharger kit is by far the easiest to install on a zetec.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You can go to around 12psi on stock Zetec internals and it will still be very streetable (with a good tune)

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Orangesvt, how much whp would 12 psi give a person with stock head and intake? I think I have read around here that would give in the neighborhood of 225 whp. Am I close?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
figure roughly about 10 hp per 1psi boost. So, most zetec foci are around 100-105 whp stock, so 12 psi would net about 220-225, depending on the tune and who is tuning.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
12psi on zetec stock internals??? That doesn't sound too safe to me. Part of the reason I want to keep the boost low is so nothing breaks, as I don't have enough funds or knowledge to fix it if something internally should break.

Are you sure you aren't talking about an SVT, they have forged internals which can withstand more pressure right?

·
Registered
888 Posts
the svt block and internals can hold much closer to 20 psi if not more, the zetec is a strong iron block, unlike the spi and d-tec, the zetec can hold 15 psi with a very very conservative tune, but you would be best going with a mild tune at 11-12 psi

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
12psi on zetec stock internals??? That doesn't sound too safe to me. Part of the reason I want to keep the boost low is so nothing breaks, as I don't have enough funds or knowledge to fix it if something internally should break.

Are you sure you aren't talking about an SVT, they have forged internals which can withstand more pressure right?
he is talking about the zetec. i ran 12psi for over a year with 0 problems. only reason i built the motor was for more power. it wont hold 24 psi [hah]

but you can run 12 and i made 220whp on it with toms dyno tune.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I've seen more than 12psi on stock zetecs without any issues... but 12 is a nice safe number (with good tune)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well, if your concerned with ease of install Id go Pro Charger. No oil lines to run or oil pans to tap. Less TQ but they do make good power up top and have been reliable. If you want more TQ go Turbo or Roots. Eithere is a good choice for your power goal.
Two things to remember. It is much easier to get more power out of a Turbo, just turn up the boost and adjust fuel and spark accordingly. With a Roots SC you have to swap pullies and are limited to how much boost you can make. Also, the more boost an Roots SC makes the more inefficient it will become.
As a whole I would suggest either Pro Charger or Toms piping kit for the SPA setup. You can get a turbo from CFM for a lil over 600 bucks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
another thing to keep in mind if you go turbo is the size of the turbo. the bigger the turbo the less psi you will be able to run because the bigger the turbo, the more power it will make per psi. take these two for example: if you run a t25 sized turbo, you would probably be able to run around 12psi and make about 200whp; now change the size of the turbo to a 50trim(i know this is extreme but just for examples sake) and you would probably only be able to run about 8psi and make about 200whp due to it being able to move great volume at lower pressures thus producing more power.

just a little info for you. good luck with the decision.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
a base PWSC runs 11-12 psi and it was designed for a completely bolt on package for the zetec. would make about 200-220whp depending on the tuner, car, and atmospheric conditions of that day.

I want to run a turbo now after reading up on all of the pros/cons. But thats way down the road after I get past several hurdles in my life (college and job lol)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, if your concerned with ease of install Id go Pro Charger. No oil lines to run or oil pans to tap. Less TQ but they do make good power up top and have been reliable. If you want more TQ go Turbo or Roots. Eithere is a good choice for your power goal.
Two things to remember. It is much easier to get more power out of a Turbo, just turn up the boost and adjust fuel and spark accordingly. With a Roots SC you have to swap pullies and are limited to how much boost you can make. Also, the more boost an Roots SC makes the more inefficient it will become.
As a whole I would suggest either Pro Charger or Toms piping kit for the SPA setup. You can get a turbo from CFM for a lil over 600 bucks.
I don't want to go with a roots setup because I don't want to get all my power right away, I want to be getting the power out of the turns and I would really like to hear the BOV not to be a ricer but more for the adrenaline rush![headbang]

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sounds like you need a Turbo!
I guess you could get the BOV noise with a Centrifugal but wouldnt be as fun. Unless you only want power up top. Then maybe a Centrifugal would be best.
My turbo comes on around 2500 and I have full boost a little under 4k. .

·
Registered
727 Posts
Go for the small turbo. It will give you supercharger like low end power and is easier to upgrade later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts