Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best book to get on how to fix your own focus and find where everything is located? I am thinking of getting one. Is Haynes the best and most trustworthy one? There is also Chilton's. Any others?

·
Registered
969 Posts
The Haynes Manual All the way

While it isn't as thorough as some of their other efforts (the manuals for the volvo 240, 740/760 series), the Haynes manual for the Focus is an excellent resource. It has proven to be insanely helpful in the rebuilding process of my focus. It doesn't go too in depth with certain things (automatic transmission rebuilds, or removing fenders), but all of the important things are covered thoroughly and in an easy to understand manner. The 2000-2005 manual covers the spi, zetec, pzev, and duratec 2.0/2.3 motors.

I love the Haynes manuals. The chiltons manuals ... make good toilet paper.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I generally prefer the Haynes manuals, but the Chilton's sometimes contain info not in the Haynes.

For the small cost involved, I generally buy both of them.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> anyone know of any online versions?

At alldata.com you can subscribe to the factory information; however, since it is oriented to professional mechanics, it does not cover some basic proceedures, but concentrates on the vehicle-specific aspects.

You also get the TSBs ar alldata.com

You can get the listing of TSB titles and numbers for your vehicle free, but to access the content you must pay them.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
pretty sure both haynes and chilton collaberated on the manual. both are pretty much verbatim and use the same pics.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> pretty sure both haynes and chilton collaberated on the manual. both are pretty much verbatim and use the same pics

It's not that they work together on the manuals, but that they both feed off the same basic source -- the factory information.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not collaboration, but in fact the Chilton manual is published by Haynes. At some point they apparently merged, so now the Chilton manuals are almost identical to the Haynes, which is good. The Chiltons from years ago were kind of useless information-wise but at least they had better quality paper than now.
I don't know why Haynes Publishing Co. bothers selling car books under both names. I stood in a parts store for 10-15 minutes just comparing the two brands for the 00-05 Focus, and went with the Haynes but it was practically a tossup. There was only a dollar price difference between them.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> At some point they apparently merged, so now the Chilton manuals are almost identical to the Haynes, which is good <

I stand corrected, I wasn't aware that they had merged. Years ago I had noticed that many of the photos in both manuals were identical to those in the Factory Shop manuals and assumed both Chilton's and Haynes had gotten them direct from the manufacturer.

As to why they still use both brand names and publish nearly identical manuals for newer vehicles, it's typically due to brand name and distribution reasons. Some people may like the Chilton's name, and some stores may carry only the Chilton's manuals. So keeping both brands going probably makes some business sense, at least in the short term, since the manuals for older vehicles retain their differences. Too many companies when they buy another well-establish brand get rid of the other brand too some and kill their sales, e.g., Lenovo bought the IBM PC business and quickly changed the name from IBM to Lenovo, even though they had the right to use the IBM brand for several years. Guess what? Nobody knows Lenovo and their PC sales have declined dramatically.

With time they will likely phase out one name or the other I suspect.

P.S. I googled and found this statement "I am pleased to report a much improved trading position for the first quarter of this year
with actual Group sales ahead by 33% year on year and 19% up on a like for like basis, excluding sales of Chilton products as the acquisition of the Group’s major competitor in the United States was not completed until January 2001."

So apparently Haynes (a U.K. based company) bought Chilton's in 2001.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
> With time they will likely phase out one name or the other I suspect.

P.S. I googled and found this statement "I am pleased to report a much improved trading position for the first quarter of this year
with actual Group sales ahead by 33% year on year and 19% up on a like for like basis, excluding sales of Chilton products as the acquisition of the Group’s major competitor in the United States was not completed until January 2001."

So apparently Haynes (a U.K. based company) bought Chilton's in 2001.
Good research, thanks. I agree that they'll probably phase out one of the names. It amazed me that the parts store where I found both brands would stock both, unless it was a jobber that handled the book section so that all the store had to do basically was provide floor space and ring up sales. One thing: I asked the counter guy about what was the difference or which book was better, and he was like "duh", no help at all.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
I personally like Haynes manuals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go to E-bay and type in "ford focus DVD". Best manual I have ever got. Very easy to read and follow, and has all the info you want for under $20 shipped

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
i have a haynes manual. the electrical diagrams leave a bit to be desired, but the rest seems good enough, though i havent really had a need to use anything else.

one thing i don't like about it is that there is no wiring diagrams for anything before the fuse boxes. all the diagrams start at the fuse boxes and work from there. i guess haynes just assumes that the power is magically created in the fusebox.

but that is my only complaint, and it is a minor one.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Its okay for very basic maintainence, but after that...

The descriptions on how to do things are vauge at best, the pictures are limited and sometimes not applicable, torque ratings aren't always there, no electrical support, etc...

Have they even updated it for the Duratec engine yet?

Ford Service DVD FTW.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Focusfanatics.com is my manual![headbang]

The chiltons one for my volvo was really good...the haynes was kinda decent but a bunch of stuff was wrong [scratch]

Haven't looked at the ones for my foci...prolly won't need to!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts